Which Smartphone has great sound quality? Moto Droid, Nexus 1, HTC Desire
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #16 of 41
i got a Milestone, and i am considering some DAP to substitute it as Mp3 player, Something people don't mention when talking about their Droid/Milestone is the fact that Motorola screwed up 2 ways... first one, did not implement MILESTONES EQ on DROID. So no EQ for droid, but for Milestone we have a small EQ with presets ONLY ( better than nothing! ) Second thing... both devices suffer from Audio struggling from the 3.5mm Jack. Open an App ( no Mather what ) your audio will struggle, now, knowing android is linux based, and ofc acts like linux itself, what does Android does? Starts opening all he can on the RAM ( every linux user knows this, linux manages ram much different than windows ) while that happens and if for example you are listening to music, your music will struggle, which ends up to be annoying. That is the only flaw i found on this device, and seems like Motorola isn't gona do anything against it, since FW 2.1 rolled out for milestones already and they still have this issue. My opinion about the SQ is that my Nokia 5800 sounded much better, i wouldn't recommend using the milestone as a Source, rather get some pennies spared and purchase a dedicated source, just like i am about to do.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 41
I have had the Motorola Droid for a little over 2 months. It is a great smartphone, and I love almost everything about it, but I cannot recommend it as a music source, at least compared to my ipod classic (which admittedly sets a fairly high bar). SQ is far less detailed than the ipod, music to me sounds veiled and seems to have a compressed range. Amplification is also quite weak, even on low-impedance phones that are easy to drive with other sources. And there are frequent brief interruptions in the playback, which might be explained by the linux memory usage explained katsuru discussed above (although they happen even when the screen is off and i am not using any other apps).

I have some music loaded on the Droid, so that I can listen even when I don't want to carry the ipod with me. And the Droid is excellent for apps like last.fm, which gives streaming audio at decent quality over the data network (lots of other choices too, including Pandora). But it is no substitute for my ipod, even unamped...

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 41
Couldn't you install some third-party player on Android phones that offers EQ manipulation? It obviously wouldn't overcome limitations set by the hardware, but you could at least fiddle with the settings.

Oh, and for the record: The Samsung Omnia is a horrible DAP. I never realized how bad it sounded before I decided to get a dedicated DAP.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 41
I use mixzing with my nexus one and its absolutely kicks ass! even better than my old W810(yes,I switched from dumb phone to a smart one...:))
The mixzing give me very wide range of tuning for my like,and I've putted 32GB card and 20gb of music and it handles it without a sweat!
I tried 3 different headphons(Sennheiser precision cx300 II,AKG K330,Iriver IEP-300).
The sennheiser and the AKG sounded very similar,great bass but sounded kinda fake,with very annoying high's,the mids not so clear,overall a very messed up sound quality,and I had to move down all the way the 8k and 16k channels to really make the high tones less harsh and more forgiving to my ears.
The Iriver although the cheapest of the bunch.hands down is the best,the most comfortable in the ears,it has a very clear and natural sound and very "true to the source" sound,without any fake sound of the other two,although bass is less punchy than the other two,its still good enough,its the 125 channel where it falls short).
overall,I'm very pleased with my nexus one with mixzing and paired to Iriver IEP300(mixzing gives the user a +-12db tuning range)
P.S I had also tried PowerAmp app which is also quite good and if your lazy to tune your music by yourself it will suit you better!

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 41
People, try powerAMP for Android - all the EQ and sound enhancement issues, for the most part, will be solved - except the low volume on the myTouch 4G (powerAMP couldn't save it I'm afraid).

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 41
They Should also try mixzing...:)....that solved for me everything.

May 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #23 of 41
I recomend the HTC wildfire
despite its old generation processor the sound stage it provides its widest compared to htc tatoo. Many say almost no phones can beat and yes its better then the iphone

May 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 41
I did a head to head comperison between my nexus one(2.3.4) with poweramp with a friend's galaxy S(2.2),and with all honest I cant understand what the fuzz is all about the galaxy S...
nexus one has wider soundstage while the galaxy s has narrower soundstage which gives you the illusion of tighter bass,mids sound thin,high's are nothing to write home about,everything sounds just thin,my nexus one with poweramp with bass and treble knobs set both to 50% with flat EQ sound similar to my X-Fi HD when it used to have LME49720 in the I\V.
I really tried to like the galaxy S(mostly because I can get it for really cheap,plus huge storage,Wolfson audio codec chip),but I just didnt like the way is sound,not to mention the crappy GPS,lousy build quality,huge gaps between screen and main structure,and no support from samsung.
yes the stock player sound miles better than the nexus one stock,put when poweramp comes in,nexus one is my choice.

May 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 41

Quote:
I did a head to head comperison between my nexus one(2.3.4) with poweramp with a friend's galaxy S(2.2),and with all honest I cant understand what the fuzz is all about the galaxy S...

Does your friend's Galaxy S have the Voodoo Sound kernel mod? If not then you were not hearing what all the fuss is about because the phone was using Samsung's lackluster driver implementation.

May 4, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #26 of 41

Quote:
nexus one has wider soundstage while the galaxy s has narrower soundstage which gives you the illusion of tighter bass,mids sound thin,high's are nothing to write home about,everything sounds just thin,my nexus one with poweramp with bass and treble knobs set both to 50% with flat EQ sound similar to my X-Fi HD when it used to have LME49720 in the I\V.
I really tried to like the galaxy S(mostly because I can get it for really cheap,plus huge storage,Wolfson audio codec chip),but I just didnt like the way is sound,not to mention the crappy GPS,lousy build quality,huge gaps between screen and main structure,and no support from samsung.
yes the stock player sound miles better than the nexus one stock,put when poweramp comes in,nexus one is my choice.

Do you have a source where maybe I..... could find a Galaxy S cheappp??? I seriously need a new phone man.. my phone is soooo old. Its an old flip Nokia 6133 ... from '06... I busted my Samsung Gravity ... so now i gotta live with this old PoS...

http://www.mobileguerilla.com/images/nokia-6133-closed.jpg

May 5, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 41
@cresny-no,just the stock 2.2.
@WuLFiE-I moved to orange from other courier,so now they want to bring me back,so they offering me the galaxy S with 500 minutes and 1G internet package for just 12$ for 36 months,but I hate that courier.so I have to think about it.

May 6, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 41
I'm using a HTC desire and to be fair it's not that bad but using IE8's which seem to work very very good with it, However the best music player even now is optical recorded music from cd to my MD player on my Sony N707z which at the time was there best player... and to be honest i can't find anything as good as it even to this day.. Shame the NetMD drivers don't work with windows 7 because it's by far the best player i have owned..  Second to that the N95 was very very good.

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #30 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back