Which Singlepower Tube Amp for GS1000?
May 13, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 12
Just a gauge,

as the price of the Grado GS1000 is about USD1000.

I was advised that I should spend an amount not exceeding USD1000 on the headphone amplifier.

I do not think I would spend an amount of money on a Tube Amp such as the 'Air Tight ATM-300 Power Amplifier'. However, I intend to make the purchase on the tube amp my second and final, thus, I hope to buy one which would be able to ensure that it brings out the performance of the GS1000 headphones with a tube amp that is adequate.

May 13, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 12
Extreme + $150 tube upgrade.

The standard Extreme might come with the lowest cost tubes. However, the sound improve significantly if you can get the tube upgrade.

gs1000.gif

May 13, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi 3x331m,

thanks for the reply.

Regarding the tube upgrade, can I ask exactly what does it mean?

Does a tube upgrade means that the 'adapter' for holding the tube is changed into one which is able to hold a wider variety of different tube diameters?

Regards

May 13, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a tube upgrade means that the 'adapter' for holding the tube is changed into one which is able to hold a wider variety of different tube diameters?

The Extreme is very versatile and compatible with a wide range of different tube types. Upgrade meant to replace with tubes those can yield higher sound quality, but these tubes tend to be available at higher prices.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...be+combination

The above link is one example of how Extreme owners choose their tubes.

Tubes upgrade can also meant to use tubes those are not compatible with the socket on the Extreme. In this case, you can use adapters. It's not fair to assume that using the adapter with tubes other than the default 6sn7's (Octal) can yield better SQ. It depends on the combination and your personal preferences. You can look at the following link for more detail. You can contact SP directly for more information.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212731

You can do more search on tube rolling to see the significance of how tubes can influence the characters and performances of tube amps.

gs1000.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the info which otherwise would still be foreign to me.

By the way, I have been reading alot of posts regarding the recommended tube amp with the GS1000. Thanks for your recommendation as it had become 'the more I read, the more confuse I get' at some point.

Regards

May 13, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info which otherwise would still be foreign to me.

By the way, I have been reading alot of posts regarding the recommended tube amp with the GS1000. Thanks for your recommendation as it had become 'the more I read, the more confuse I get' at some point.

Regards

FYI, you can use PM (Private message) if you don't want to post your questions on a thread.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 12
You might be able to find a toaster Supra around that price used.

Be advised of the problems this forum has had with Singlepower. Do not deal with them. Find one used from the many members here that have checked theirs out and know they are safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back