Which *single* CD would you take...
Jul 16, 2001 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

I would have to go with, "I like MDs better for being stranded on desert islands." So there!

OK, so what *one* MD would you take? Same rules apply
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #33 of 60
Hehe.....well, I'm goin wayyyyyyyyy against the grain here, but:

I would take Xzibit - Restless.

Alright, guys and gals, throw your punches, I know they're gonna hurt. You know why? Cuz I don't like classical. Nothin against it, it's just that it doesn't hit the spot for me. And I've never heard Miles Davis. But heck, maybe that's just cuz I've never heard it before. I'm open to suggestions. What's the best song on 'Kind of Blue' ? Just tell me and I'll give it a listen. but for now, it's Xzibit. Maybe tomorrow it will be 2pac. Hey guys calm down, I like all kinds of music, k? [Thanks, just didn't want to start any arguments]

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:48 AM Post #34 of 60
I'm with Dusty Chalk and Holy Zoo on this one, there are a lot of cds I would love to take with me, but I have them memorized completely already (which sometimes makes it hard to choose which one to listen to). So I think I am going to choose a new one that I've kinda fallen in love with. Discovering the Symphony on the Naxos label, which unfortunately is a 2 disc set, and while the decision is hard, I think I'll have to go with Disc 2, it starts out with a piece from Dvorak's 8th symphony which I had the pleasure of seeing (hearing) live, performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra not too long ago, so I can picture in my mind it being played so it has a little more impact. It has many many many more listens left on it before I appreciate all of it, It would make great background music while I read my Idiot's guide to classical music.....hmm, there's a whole new question "which single book would you bring to read while listening to your single CD?" but I think we'll save that one for another day.

I do hear you Sapphire, while I do like classical music, I listen to just about every other type of music that exists (other than country). I get strange looks from the clerks at barnes and noble when I buy Carmina Burana and Metallica's Kill 'Em All or the Gladiator soundtrack and Gorillaz new CD (which may be a contender for the CD I bring on the island, it's new and fun to listen to) I guess I just love music in general be it Classical, Metallica, Hip-Hop, Blues, whatever, take the suggestions of people here on new CDs to buy, it's a lot of fun. Today I was about to buy a "Best of Trance" CD because a lot of the songs on it are played at the parties I go to and it would be awesome to drive to, but then I realized I have no money
frown.gif
, maybe I'll try listening ot the 30 or so CDs I've bought this summer instead of buying new ones.

Happy listening!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 6:01 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Holy Zoo
So... I'm going to chose something that I've only recently discovered and fell immediately in love with...

Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior

Aw, yeah, excellent choice, that album is amazing...it's one of those albums where, as soon as it's over, I want to play it again...is it out on SACD? I may have to finally get a SACD player...do they have portable ones yet? (-:

Quote:

Originally posted by Holy Zoo
I'm with DustyChalk in that all my trusty old favorite albums I have long since memorized to the point where I don't need to hear them a thousand more times.

BTW, just to give credit where credit is due, I am not the first person to have thought of it, someone else on another board ("Rave Recordings" on audioreview.com -- a great music board...the guy was "dbi", for those of you familiar with that board) phrased it, and I thought to myself, "Why haven't I thought of this before? Of course I don't want to take my favorite album! Why do I always try to pick my favorite album? I should pick an album that I don't know..."

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #36 of 60
grrr223, it's good to know that i'm not alone.

oh, by the way, i just remembered a great-sounding CD that lots of ppl here would probably like.

Anyone heard of Niun Niggung - "Mouse On Mars"?
It's this really trippy electronica stuff, and not the usual sounds either. The thing I don;t like about most electronica or techno music is that it is repetitive, or more irritatingly, every song has that same damn sample in it! Well, not anymore! This CD is filled with sounds and effects i've never heard before, and if you like Radiohead, or any type of techno/electronica, then you'll probably like this. My favourite songs by Niun Niggung are "Download Sofist" and "Pinwheel Herman".

Give it a try, i think you might like it! Seriously!

Anybody wanna second me on this?

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:51 AM Post #37 of 60
I think that this one changes for me, day to day -- but if today, the alien beam was lifting my arse up to drop me off on that desert island with unlimited supply of batteries, I'd have to bring Eva Cassidy: Live at Blues Alley. I'd just have to have something soothing, beautiful, jazzy, and bluesey all in one.

Jul 16, 2001 at 2:35 PM Post #39 of 60
Pigmode: Common Thread is good choice and since its not performed by the Eagles, I would think that it would count.

Mbriant: It wasn't a desert island, but it was a small college town in Arkansas in the summer and I only had a my Sony CDP-32, a pair of Koss headphones (don't remember the model) and A&M's 25 Anniversary Collection: SuperTramps Greatest Hits. I think Crime of the Century is do-able.

Think I'd have to go with Phil Keaggy's "Wind and the Wheat" or Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". Have have to listen again before I could decide.

Jul 16, 2001 at 3:32 PM Post #41 of 60
OK, since nobody'll tell me if movie OSTs are allowed or not, I'll assume they are, and take the Princess Mononoke OST. Otherwise, I'd have to take Garbage's first album.

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk

Aw, yeah, excellent choice, that album is amazing...it's one of those albums where, as soon as it's over, I want to play it again...is it out on SACD? I may have to finally get a SACD player...do they have portable ones yet? (-:

Yep! And the sound is *stunning*.

However... it's a Japanese import. HMV Japan has lots of SACDs out that aren't available in the US yet.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=964683

Likewise, Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy is also out as a Japanese import.

As for portable SACD players.... don't think so... yet.

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #43 of 60
I just thought it was time that Miles Davis and Kind of Blue got mentioned again. For quite some time I was so captivated by it, I thought I was on an island.

"Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations. That is Bach." Valid point, fiddler, but don't you agree that one wants to listen to the older and more serene Glenn Gould playing it?

And finally, isn't this only one recording idea the most silly one? I mean, what's next? Monogamy?

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Just like to quote something from Ally McBeal "If a man is told he has to drive the same car for the rest of his life, he would never buy a car" - Fishism (David E. Kelley).

Very True.

Mmmmm.. not for me! It's a very witty quote, but I'd rather have a nice car than walk 30 miles to and from work every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

And... my thinking about the "only one disc on the island" bit is that it gets us to think about music in a certain way... you have to take into consideration the repeat listenability of a selection, balance of the album - covers lots of different emotions, complexity - so you don't get bored, sonics - because we're headphone nuts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back