Which *single* CD would you take...
Jul 14, 2001 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
A while back over on HeadWize, we had a discussion of "Top 5" CDs. It ended up being more of "what I'm listening to right now."

Well, lets make this a bit more challenging...
wink.gif
Since I can't think of a better cliche, I'll use the old "If you were stranded on a deserted island" image.

If you were stranded on a deserted island with your favorite portable CD player, amp and headphones, which SINGLE CD would you want? In other words, what is the ONE CD that you could listen to over and over again more than any other.

Here are the ground rules:

1) No "Greatest Hits" collections or compilations -- it has to be an original album. In other words, no cheating.

2) No box sets/double albums/etc. If it's a multi-CD release, you can only take ONE of the CDs -- pretend that your CDP is welded shut
wink.gif

3) Only ONE choice per person -- no "well, for Jazz I would take this, but for Rock..." posts.

EDIT: two more rules
wink.gif

4) Soundtracks are allowed.

5) CD-R's don't count -- sorry, no custom compilations LOL

So think carefully -- you're stuck with this CD forever.

Jul 14, 2001 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 60
Well, at first I'd say that I'd want to take one of the CDs from my Bartok's String Quartets 2-CD set (performed by the Emerson Quartet). But then I realize that would make me go crazy way to fast.

So my next choice is Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Yes, I have decided that I like it a bit more than Dark Side. Then I realize that, too, will make me go crazy.

So my final choice is one of the CDs from the 7-CD set of all of Beethoven's string quartets, performed by the Alban Berg Quartett. But no, portables aren't good enough for classical music.

So my final final choice is The Beatles' Revolver. It would make me happy, hopeful, and friendly when the first ship would come by.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 60
hmm..nah, thats a double cd..

hmmm...nah, not something I can listen to every day of every year...

hhmmmm....damn, compared to this, picking 5 was easy!

will probably take Arena - 'Pride'. an uptepto song, a ballad, one "regular" one, and finally two epics, all seperated by beautyful dreamy instrumentals. makes for an album fit for near any mood and also very relaxing.

Jul 14, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 60
Magnum On A Storytellers Night. Pomp rock at its very best. Three minute stompy numbers (just Like An Arrow) to the classic How Far Jurusalem an atmospheric song that really cuts loose towards the end of the nine minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course theres always............

Jul 14, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 60
For me, that would be Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

That CD has it all, it's only two tracks but it's relaxing yet exciting, rythmic, groovy, jazz-and-rock-and-electronic.
The musicians are simply awesome and Miles Davis is a genius.

Jul 14, 2001 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 60
I'll pick...the Smurfs' debut album, cos it's so darn chipper
smily_headphones1.gif

"Beer, beer, Smurfin beer
You don't get drunk
And it isn't dear."

Excellent isn't it?

"Pinochio, Pinochio
Why are you made of wood?"

Yeeha!

Oh, hang on. Is it actually available on CD?

Probably not.
mad.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 60
Are movie soundtracks allowed, so long as the tracks are only on that album and no other?

Jul 14, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 60
Erm... Err... Tough... Very Tough
mad.gif

What would I take... erm... I'm not going to go for a CD with particularily good sound quality or audio merit... but... Travis : The Man Who... This is just a good bouncy sing-a-long CD... would keep you calm, and smiling
smily_headphones1.gif

Do we have a never ending supply of batteries??
tongue.gif

Also... can we borrow everyone elses CDPs??
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 60
These last couple weeks there is one disk that has been spinning more than any others:

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

I bought it per Jude's reccomendation - and he sure was right about this CD, it ROCKS. It's awesome on Grados.

I'm just loving it. I don't have any other CDs that make me rock out like this one.

Jul 14, 2001 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 60
This is too tough to decide!

I think I only found one album that I can play all the way through without skipping a track, a few that has 9 out of 12 songs but not all.

Magnolia Soundtrack comes very close,

B00003A9NN.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00004RG4Y.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aimee Mann is excellent, up to the point where someone else starts singing, just got her Bachelor No2 album, I think I'll love this. The Man Who by Travis is good too, but I think the only CD that I plays all the way through was Shania Twain's 'Come On Over' album "Gasp!".

B000031VR1.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I know what you all thinking, "He's mad!" But I actually like the songs, at College, I used to stay up all night to get drawings done and the album is around 60 minutes long (give or take a few seconds) and I used it to time myself as time flies by when I am working. I'll know an hour has gone by when the same song is playing again and the music is upbeat, just what you need after staying up for 24 hours straight.

Jul 15, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 60
I guess it's only fair that I answer my own question
wink.gif

I think that I would have to pick "Passion" by Peter Gabriel, which is music he did for the film "The Last Temptation of Christ." It's an amazing combination of "world" music (especially African and Middle Eastern), classical, and pop. There are very few lyrics -- just gorgeous music. The list of artists who contributed reads like a who's who of modern world music: Youssou N'Dour, Manu Katche, Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn, Shankar, David Rhodes, Hossam Ramzy, Fatala, Doudou N'Daiye Rose, and many others (including some very well-known studio musicians).

Simply an amazing album, and very well recorded, as well.

Jul 15, 2001 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 60
That's easy.
Tchaikowsky's 6th symphony.
I would like to mix and match movements from different recordings though.

DanG, I have only one of Alan Berg quartet's performances of Beethoven's quartets (131/132) which was getting dust till a month ago. I cannot believe how good that thing is - music, performance and recording. I don't normally listen to chamber music but this blew me away. It's now my standard equipment testing CD. Judging by the CD, it was cheap too (not that it matters). I just think I might follow your idea and get them all.

Jul 15, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 60
toughie. zoboomofo picked Kind of Blue and wab picked In a Silent Way (both Miles).... and I'm trying to decide between the two.

Before I launch into some self-indulgent rhetoric I'll just say:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back