Which *single* CD would you take...
Jul 16, 2001 at 6:12 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Think I'd have to go with Phil Keaggy's "Wind and the Wheat" or Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons". Have have to listen again before I could decide.

The Four Seasons would be a good one... I can listen to that over and over.

Quote:

OK, since nobody'll tell me if movie OSTs are allowed or not, I'll assume they are, and take the Princess Mononoke OST. Otherwise, I'd have to take Garbage's first album.

Actually, read up, dhwilkin -- Rule #4
wink.gif

Quote:

And... my thinking about the "only one disc on the island" bit is that it gets us to think about music in a certain way... you have to take into consideration the repeat listenability of a selection, balance of the album - covers lots of different emotions, complexity - so you don't get bored, sonics - because we're headphone nuts.

Exactly, Holy Zoo. That's one reason I started this exercise. Also, it's been a good way to get some great recommendations for things to buy
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena

I would take Xzibit - Restless.

I love listening to rap too, but if you're gonna pick a rap album, why pick Xzibit? You'd be much better off listening to Tupac with his poetic lyrics, or maybe a classic that never gets old like Dr. Dre's Chronic, or Wu-Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers...

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 60
If I could only take one album, it would have to be Frank Sinatra's Songs for Swingin' Lovers. Maybe the person with Miles Kind of Blue would swap after a few years.

M

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:25 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by MichaelN

I love listening to rap too, but if you're gonna pick a rap album, why pick Xzibit? You'd be much better off listening to Tupac with his poetic lyrics, or maybe a classic that never gets old like Dr. Dre's Chronic, or Wu-Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers...

Yeah, 2pac would be my 2nd choice for sure, but I simply couldn't choose any one Cd, he's just got so many, and they're all good. I might take Until the End of Time CD 1, or one of the Greatest Hits CD's, but its a rule that u cant take a greatest hits cd.....It's hard as hell to choose, and I just love xzibit, he's the lyrical master imo!
As far as Dre, to be honest I don't really like him so much, he's not on my faves list at least. And I have only heard a few of Wu Tang's songs, theyre good too.

You know what song I really like? "Ooh" by De La Soul ft. Redman.
and the old song "How Deep Is Your Love" by Dru Hill ft. Redman
There's something about xzibit and redman, i just never get tired of listening to them. Same with tupac. He's the best, just I can't single out one of his Cd's.

Pour some liquor for my dead homie 2pac.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
Anyone heard of Niun Niggung - "Mouse On Mars"?

Actually, it's the other way around -- the artist is Mouse On Mars, and the album is Niun Niggung...they have many other releases...check out Vulvaland, although Niun Niggung is pretty good, too...I don't know if I'd want to be alone with it on a desert island, though...but then again, I don't know if I'd want to be alone with any one CD on a desert island...any chance I can trade it in for a coconut or something? A rubber-band bass? ...any musical instrument?

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Holy Zoo HMV Japan has lots of SACDs out that aren't available in the US yet.

I tried to go to the site...got a bunch of boxes where (I presume) Japanese characters go -- do you read Japanese? I can probably fix the boxes part (it's just another font set or something), but I don't think I'd be able to read it, anyway...though I don't really need to get them from HMV Japan, as I can probably find an importer guy who imports most of that stuff (for example, I'm sure www.artist-shop.com would do it for me if I asked nicely, as would rpmrecords.com)...I usually gloss past it, since I don't have a player yet...so I appreciate you pointing out that it's available...I presume Passion, Grace & Fire came out, also, since I recently found it released on CD with "DSD Mastering" by "Master Sound"...I may have to get an SACD player and get all that Al Di and Chick Corea and Miles Davis stuff...

BTW, just to return to the thread -- too many rules! I would burn a CD-R of a greatest hits of all of my favorite soundtrack album tracks! So there! Lppptt!
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:55 PM Post #52 of 60
DustyChalk, reading the page is not a problem. Just go to Babelfish, enter the url in the box, select Japanese to English, and click Translate. Give it a few seconds to load, too. Voila, (almost) no more boxes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #53 of 60
It's a toss up between "Unorthodox Behaviour" by Brand X, "Romantic Warrior" by Return To Forever, and "Birds Of Fire" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra. And the winner is... Brand X by a nose!

Jul 17, 2001 at 1:40 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
...reading the page is not a problem. Just go to Babelfish...

(Goes there...reads it...laughs...comes back...)
LOL! "Woman magic teacher", indeed, "Duel of buffoonery and tyrant"...I love seeing stuff translated back and forth and seeing what you get back...thanks for the link, I had forgotten about it...hours of fun...

Jul 17, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #56 of 60
macDEF - u know what i meant.....

Then i'd have to go with kind of blue...i could learn soooo much from it, as a saxophonist.....cuz i'd have my sax on this island, right? WHAT!?

grr.......
mad.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #57 of 60
I would take Astral Weeks too but unfortunately the production sounds a little dated and thin.

So I'll take Cafe Jacques "Round The Back".

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #58 of 60
Rap music for your choice? I'm not going to knock you guys 'cause you know what you like, but I still get tickled thinking about a 70 year old man on a desert island, in tatered jeans, and a beard down to his mid-section, listening to Tupac.

biggrin.gif

On another note, a friend at work was playing his cd and when I walked up he says "bet you can't guess who this is" (my friends black and I'm white to put it in perspective) and to his surprise I reply "Well thats gotta be Two-packs-fer-sure"

(and yes we're still friends)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back