Which should I buy Compass or Little Dot MKVII ?
Jun 29, 2009 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

headfi_calderon

Head-Fier
I have Senn's HD650 but I've been driving them with my NAD stereo. I was about to purchase a Compass with the Sun HDAM, but I just saw that the Little Dot MKVII came out not too long ago. Which one would you purchase? Please give this newbie some advice.
A few questions you may ask me...
Do I have a seperate DAC? kind of.. I purchase a Trends Audio UD10, but later
found out that it isnt powerful enough to drive the HD650.

I will be mainly using it to listen to FLACs off my MAC if that means anything.

thank in advance!

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 12
The Little Dot MkVII is a flagship SS amp while the Compass is an entry level DAC/Amp combo. If you needed just an amp, then I would pass on the Compass. Not sure how good your Trends UD10 is as a DAC so you much have to upgrade your source if it's not up to par.

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 12
The LD MKVII is an balanced amp, the compass on the hand is an single ended DAC/AMP combo.

Unless you're going to go full balanced there is no point of getting the LD MKVII...

eg. balanced source (cd player or DAC) -> XLR -> LD MKVII -> balanced cable for your HD650.

Sure you can use single ended on the MKVII but whats the point???

This amp like any other balanced amp is design for full balanced application. I dont get why people buy a balanced amp and run them in single ended mode????

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Do you have a budget? You wont get any benefit out of an amp just using the headphone out of your Mac. That was the very first mistake I made when I came here.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 12
hrmm.. I was going to pair up the MKVII with my Trends UD-10, So I guess that isnt a good long term solution. What would be a good combo with the MKVII? and be it should be reasonably priced around the same as the MKVII. This will be my first setup, so I'm not looking to spend thousands.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 12
You don't necessarily have to buy an Little Dot MKVII. In its price range, there are a lot of options, especially with diy amps like the M^3, Millet Max, and PPAv2. As far as DACs in that price range, I've read that the Pico dac, Apogee Duet, and a number of vintage dacs are all very good.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Personally, I'd pick a good single-ended amp within my budget. In the mid-hundreds there's now a plethora of amps available to suit all tastes.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I'd pick a good single-ended amp within my budget. In the mid-hundreds there's now a plethora of amps available to suit all tastes.

I don't mean to discredit anybody, but has anyone looked at the specs of the MKVII? Is there any amp SE or balanced that can match it's power in that price range?

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LD MKVII is an balanced amp, the compass on the hand is an single ended DAC/AMP combo.

Unless you're going to go full balanced there is no point of getting the LD MKVII...

eg. balanced source (cd player or DAC) -> XLR -> LD MKVII -> balanced cable for your HD650.

Sure you can use single ended on the MKVII but whats the point???

This amp like any other balanced amp is design for full balanced application. I dont get why people buy a balanced amp and run them in single ended mode????

I agree with zee on this, however, when it comes to the MKVII it's not a bad choice given the price, and have options into the future. I would definitely not buy the WA22 to use strictly single-ended.

Since I received my MKVII, I have been using it balanced and single-ended. I have a balanced DAC on the balanced ins and a standalone cd player on the unbalanced RCAs. Sometimes I get home and want to unwind without turning everything on (PC, DAC etc..). It performs very well in both modes with power to spare.

The MKVII has an input selector in the back. When the balanced input (input 1) is active, both balanced and single-ended outputs can be used without any switching of inputs. When I use just my CDP (input 2), I switch the selector to #2.

287550705o.jpg

At the moment, the only phone I can use balanced is the HD650 (tried them single ended too) and they sound incredible. My Denon AH-D5000 are next to be reterminated for balanced use. I have tried them single ended with this amp and they sound excellent. I have also tried various phones single ended and have been impressed with its power and performance.

In reference to the Trends you have, I thought that was a USB to SPDIF converter not a DAC?

I would invest in a DAC though. Again, buying a balanced DAC to start your journey is not a bad idea either, given their prices nowadays and be ready for upgrades in the future. You can use it single ended for a while and have 2 outputs to do it, to connect to 2 amps if you wish. I use my DacMagic with two amps (one tube, one solid state) in single ended mode (the balanced outs can be used single ended w/ either an xlr adapter or an xlr to rca cable).

I connected my LD DAC I to the MKVII because of the synergy between the two.

Nowadays, options are plenty and prices are right. It all depends on what direction you wish to go and your budget.

My cost for the LD DAC and MKVII was $737.00 shipped to my door. I have many options between the two (DAC- 4 inputs, 2 outputs Amp-2 inputs)...

I have to update the following thread (no time recently) a bit with other findings and phones but if you want to check it out here it is-

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/get...ssions-440697/

Good luck

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thanks. I haven't read a lot about the MKVII as reviews are pretty rare around here.

Rare indeed.I was seriously considering getting one, but did a u-turn because i really didnt need/want a balanced rig, and most of the (power) benefits from the MKVII seem to be in running it balanced.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 12
When the little dot mk vii is run single ended, does it sound better than or as good as the mk iv se which is the same price?
That would pretty much seal the deal for me, as it would mean an easy balanced upgrade in the future, because I could just get the dac and cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back