Which shipping service do you prefer?
Sep 18, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #16 of 28
I think the biggest issue people have with UPS is the brokerage fees they make you pay. For us Canadians, when ordering something from, say, the U.S., UPS will collect a brokerage fee on top of shipping and taxes. The brokerage fees are sometimes reported to be in excess of 50% of the price of the goods, so you can all image the pain.

Now, Canada Post would charge about $5 CDN as a handling fee for smaller packages, and a little higher for larger packages but definitely nowhere near what UPS charges. Domestically, UPS may be well and all, so be wary when ordering internationally.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 28
FedEx because of Kinko's being open 24/7 and i can get the item to the buyers hands just that more quickly!

USPS is great but does not have the easy hours like Kinko's/FedEx has. still its the best for your money!

dhl only for costly items..i have seen and shipped large amounts of Cash threw them overnight..not my cash but still large cash. that takes a bit of trust but they been perfect every time.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #19 of 28
Norway Post
I have shipped numerous packages and never had a single problem with them.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #20 of 28
In Japan, the Japan Post or Yamato.

In the US, FedEx or USPS...I do not like how UPS doesn't even attempt to ring my doorbell.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #21 of 28
I'd like to note, when UPS delivered my SVS subwoofer, UPS was handling the package like it was a nuclear device. The UPS man was thrilled that I was home on the first attempt during the day. He answered the door and said "ohhh GREAT, here's your subwoofer. I'm glad you're home, I can't leave this at your door".

Looks like the man knows what the big SVS logo truly means
orphsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 28
I've had problems with all except DHL. My biggest problem with Fedex is that one; they charge too much for shipping to Honolulu, two; they don't take care of the packages, and three; they have poor customer service. I once had a $1200 pair of speakers shipped in through them and they not only left it on our doorstep after I had contacted them and instructed them to hold it until I returned from being off island but they also left it in plain view and open to the elements. Luckily the speakers were fine but nevertheless, that box sat on our doorstep for two days in plain sight (They could have just left it in the truck bed four feet away from our doorstep, but the delivery guy was too lazy
rolleyes.gif
). My primary beef with UPS is once again, their prices to Honolulu are ridiculous and also their delivery men are very hit or miss. Some of them are great but others will leave an attempted delivery slip without even attempting to deliver the package.

My favorite of the above is USPS because their First Class and Priority Mail service is excellent however, their Parcel Post service is dismal at best. I've never received a package in less than four weeks through this service and every one has been received deformed with various boot/tire/??? marks on the package, several have been broken. I've only used DHL once so I don't think it's really fair to compare their service however, I did have my Sony SACD changer delivered via 2nd Day air through them and they delivered it in two days instead of the three quoted for Hawai'i by Fedex and UPS for 2nd Day air.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 28
I've had a few packages delivered by UPS that look like someone SAT on my box and crushed it a little bit. And UPS isn't always accurate for their estimated delivery times, sometimes it will arrive in my city but not be sent out for delivery for 1 - 3 more days. Fedex tends to be more acceptable IMO, better accuracy of estimated delivery and better online tracking (UPS sometimes will be delivered before any tracking info shows up!).

My overall favorite is without question USPS Priority. Usually around the same or cheaper than UPS and Fedex and usally faster than UPS Ground and FedEx Home Delivery. Most packages arrive within 2 days. The main reason I like USPS is because they deliver Monday through Saturday, so if I order on Wed or Thurs there is a better chance I won't have to wait until the next week.

USPS Priority is the best price/performance ratio for me.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #26 of 28
UPS is my least fave. About half the shipments I have received with UPS arrive severely mangled and damaged.

Its understood that items get beat up and tossed around in transit. A good service evaluates packaging at the origin, and should not accept items that do not have adequate packaging carton, foam padding...etc... UPS on the other hand will accept anything, and do not refuse items that are under-packaged by the sender.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #27 of 28
Expedited Mail Service, aka EMS. Almost every country has this type of service...it's a global network, usually linked somehow or under supervision of to the national postal system of the country in question. But it is much quicker (3-4 days), fully tracked, etc.

For example here in South Africa it is called SAPO EMS; in the US it is USPS Global Express Mail International; in Hong Kong it is called Speedpost IIRC, in Canada it is Xpresspost International....and so on. In all cases though, I believe, they have the universal EMS logo:

logo_ems.gif

Cheers,
X

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 28
My nearst local post is bunch of idiots. But at least they are able to deliver things in time and package box arrives uncrushed, so I would say its OK. Fedex and DHL is alright too in my area. UPS is big no no for me, they play soccer with packages eveny time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back