Which Schiit Amp for DT880 (600 Ohms) would you recommend?
May 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HighRez

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in an amp for the Beyerdynamic DT880s (600 Ohms).  I have heard these cans when paired with the Bifrost and Lyr and it was amazing! However, that rig is out of my budget.  I'm looking to spend between $500 and $650 on a rig including the cost of the DT880s.  

The Lyr sounded great, but I have heard and read great things about the Valhalla for high impedance headphones and that the solid state Asgard would complement the already analytical DT880s.

I'd like to hear your opinions on how headphones like the DT880s perform when paired with a pure tube amp like the Valhalla, or a solid state amp like the Asgard.  Currently I am leaning towards the Valhalla because the Lyr is out of my price range. 

I'll be purchasing a DAC at a later time so I'm not concerned with that at the moment.

I listen to the following types of music in no particular order of importance:

1. trance
  2. rock
  3. dubstep
  4. pop
  5. country
  6. house
  7. metal
  8. classic rock

I'm new to the head-fi community and have been researching for a while.  Now that I have the funds I could really use some more insight before I pull the trigger.

Thanks! 

May 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi!

I am using the DT880 Premium 32 Ohms with a Schiit Valhalla. Sounds devine! I must say, the DT880s just sing with this Amp. Was a bit fatiguing in the first hour when the headphones were new, but when the DT880s got into the groove, it was perfect. Am listening for 2 days straight with this setup now in the office and just LOVE it.

How well the Valhalla drives 600 Ohms DT880s I don't know. I have the Asgard (1) at home and use it with Sennheiser HD598s and love that combination as well. However in the office I run the Valhalla with all kinds of headphones, Sennheiser HD25-1 (new old stock I just acquired) the DT880, Yamaha HPH-200, HD239s, HD448, Superlux HD668b and last but not least Ultrasone Pro750.

The Valhalla drives them all perfectly well and now that the Valhalla is tube rollable (newer version, I still have the older one) I think you are save to adjust some aspects of the sound signature with tubes for the right headphone. What more can you ask for?

Also in case you have a whine with the headphone, you can rectify that with a matched DAC, so if the highs are too piercing, get a warm DAC, etc. So, the good thing about buying things in sequence is that you can adjust on the way.

The Valhalla is a great amp. I could live with that amp being the last one I ever have :wink:

Cheers,
K

May 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for your opinion! The tube rolling is also one of the main reasons that I'm considering the Valhalla over the Asgard.  

I'd go with the Valhalla instead. Some guys said that the Asgard/DT880 600ohm combination sounds lifeless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back