Which SACD player to buy???
Jun 30, 2002 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Prices of SACD players range from approx. $180 for a Sony DVP-NS500V, or approx. $1,000 for a Philips SACD1000, to approx. $3,000 for a Sony ES SCD-XA777ES. Still additional money can be spent for upgrading such units further. Is the sound quality of a $3,000 machine really superior to that of a $180 machine? Have any Head-Fi members compared the SACD and redbook performance of a less expensive SACD player with one that is more expensive? I would really appreciate guidance and advice regarding this.

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 35
My (limited) experience has been that a higher end source will improve upon a mid to low end product. Much depends upon the components connected down stream. I have the Phillps, btw.

I know this doesn't answer your question specifically...

Jul 1, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 35
My downstream components include an ASL AQ-1005DT amp and an AKG K1000 headphone. Also Dimarizo interconnects. Am currently using a Marantz CD5000 CDP, and would like to get into SACD. So, my concern is whether an "expensive" unit like the Philips SACD1000 yields noticeably better sound than an "inexpensive" SACD such as the Sony DVP-NS500V. Of course, I am interested in both the unit's SACD and redbook performance.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 35
mikeg, I can't comment on the Sony DVP-NS500V, but I can say that the Phillips is a significantly better player than my previous AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000. Of course you coulld always void the warranty by having the Sony modded. Your components are definitely screaming for a better source. If I were in your shoes I would spring for the best player I could afford.

Last week Oades was selling the Phillips for $795. Are they all out?

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 35
Mikeg, I'm currently using a Sony 555ES with the K1000 and AQ1005DTI. I can't make a direct comparison, but I can say that I am very much enjoying the 555ES. IMO, both the sacd and redbook on the 555ES is excellent. I'm also using a SHA-1.

I have briefly listened to a couple of Sony sacd low-ends but can't seem to recall much except the build quality seem to be a bit flimsy.

Last weekend, I did auditioned the Marantz SA-14 and was quite impressed. But then again, I was listening from speakers and a complete McIntosh setup that I can't forsee ever being able to afford. In anycase, I'm planning to go back and bring my old upgraded supreme and HD600 for a second audition.

Jul 1, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 35
After all my "constructive brooding" regarding which SACD player to buy, and all of the valuable advice kindly given to me by Head-Fi members, I've decided to buy either a Sony DVP-NS900V, or a Philips SAC 1000. The final decision will probably be based on price, although I now lean toward the Sony player.

Jul 1, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 35
mikeg
I don't tend to like the sound of Sony's regular line players and find them overpriced, though I'm told this particular Sony is at a good price/performance ratio. I've not heard it.

I don't personally like the redbook performance of the 555ES player, at least not in stock form--for whatever that's worth.

If you go with either the Philips or the Sony XA777ES, I advise giving Oade Brothers a call. My XA777ES was purchased from them for $2000 (as you said, $3000 retail--the next lowest price I found was $2500).

Jul 2, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 35
kelly,

Is the performance of the Philips and Sony XA777ES units comperable, despite their large difference in price? Also, is it possible to connect these units directly to a spare input of a Sony computer monitor; i.e., for the purpose of watching DVD movies?

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 35
mikeg
Both of these units are SACD/CD players, not DVD players. I only heard the Philips briefly and can't really offer much. I didn't have great complaints with it but it still sounded like a CD player. The amp I heard it with, incidentally, was the best amp I think I have ever heard.

From reviews, the XA777ES is said to be better, but it will cost your twice as much so it's really more of a matter of where your budget is. Search Audio Asylum for reviews of the two players.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 35
kelly,

I have looked at Audio Asylum and am now also considering the Marantz SA8260. It seems like a very fine unit. BTW, isn't the Philips SACD1000 also a DVD player? And if so, can the video output of such a player be connected directly to a computer monitor?

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
....BTW, isn't the Philips SACD1000 also a DVD player?....

The Philips SACD-1000 will play DVD video.

In addition to SACD, it also plays SVCD, Video CD, CDDA, CD-R, and CD-RW (this according to Audio Advisor).

According to Stereophile's review of it (if I remember correctly), they preferred the sonics of the Sony SCD-777ES to the SACD-1000, but still gave the SACD-1000 a solid review.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 35
Well, there ya go -- sounds like getting a Philips on clearance is a real killer deal. I'm sure it beats the 9000ES if audio is the priority.

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 35
mikeg
See prior posts--Jude found the info on the player. I was wrong. Everyone mark it in your journals.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back