Which SACD player to buy???
Jul 6, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #31 of 35
Remember that the Philips SACD 1000 does not have digital output for any PCM sources. This means its digital outputs are inactive when you play back even a CD --- it will be analog out only. The digital outputs are used only when playing back a DVD with a DD or DTS soundtrack,

I like the SACD 1000, but don't buy it because you also need a DVD-V player --- think of it as a good SACD player with DVD playback tacked on, and you'll be fine.

Also, the remote is pretty bad.

--Andre

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #32 of 35
I connected a DVD player to the 3dfx Desktop TV card that I just installed in my computer. The quality of the resulting image was considerably inferior to that resulting from using the DVD-ROM and software that are in my computer. As a consequence of this test, and other considerations such as dparrish's above advice, I've decided to buy an audio only SACD player, rather than a DVD/SACD player. I'll now concentrated on the Marantz SA8260 player. Thanks to all for your assistance and advice. You've all been great. BTW, I realize that I could also use a device such as a ViewSonic ViewBoxt TV Tuner Box, etc., or possibly other cards like the above 3dfx card, but enough is enough.

Jul 8, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #33 of 35
No one seems to have mentioned this, but the Sony SCD-CE775 is a real steal right now. $200 or so if you can find it and internally it's pretty much a C222ES except with a cheaper casing and a different power supply. There's already a whole mod scene devoted to this player, which apparently can push it up towards XA777ES's quality (although as is, it's not that far behind at all, seriously) at a fraction of the price. More information in comparison of the XA222ES and the SCD-CE775 plus modding for both models can be found at http://home1.gte.net/res0f2t3/C222ES.htm

Speaking as a very happy owner of the SCD-CE775 as well as having good access to both the C333ES and the XA777ES all under the same roof, I'm urging anyone on a budget who don't have any pride reguarding how little they spend on gear to check this player out as it's pretty damn comparable to the XA777ES and under an A->B test with the C333ES, actually slightly but barely prefrable in my mind and ears, although the SCD-CE775 in question (out of the three in the household) had only one hour of use clocked in on it compared to the well used C333ES.

My only gripe is the provided headphone out is rather crap in comparison to the XA777ES's, but most everyone reading this wouldn't be using those anyway.

Anyone even remotely interested better act quick. Sony pulled 'em out of production and they're vanishing from stores. The one in my bedroom is apparently the last one Circuit City has in the state of Wisconsin.

Jul 11, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #34 of 35
Ricky - As you advised, I bought an Audiophile 2496 sound card from http://www.midi-store.com for $159, and installed it last night. Although I expected a small improvement as compared to the sound that I was obtaining from the integrated sound outputs of my computer's motherboard, the sound produced by the Audiophile 2496 is absolutely amazing. I have been using a Maranz CD5000 CDP as my source, and never imagined that the sound from the Audiophile 2496 could possibly come close. Well, the sound from this amazing sound card is way, way better than that from this Marantz CDP. The sound field is much broader, the sound clarity and separation are much better, and the focus and placement of each instrument and singer in the sound field are absolutely sharp. As a consequence, I've removed the Marantz, and the Sony DP-IF5100 Surround Processor from the system, and I now feed the signal from the Audiophile 2496 directly into ASL-1005DT amp., through the Creek OBH-10 passive preamp. Thanks again for your wonderful advice.

dparrish - I no longer consider buying a SACD/CD/DVD player, and am now only considering the purchase of an SACD/CD player; i.e., one with audio, but no DVD capability. The player that I'm considering most seriously is the Marantz SA8260. But now that I am getting such wonderful sound output from the Audiophile 2496 card, I wonder whether there will be any further noticeable improvement when playing regular (i.e., Redbook) CDs through the Marantz SA8260 SACD player. Of course, it would be nice to get this Marantz player for evaluation (i.e, with a 30 day money back guaranttee), but I haven't even found a place where I can buy it. Do you think that a noticeable improvement when playing regular CDs will result from using the SACD player in place of the Audiophile 2496 card? Also, can you suggest a place where the Marantz SA8260 can be bought?

Jul 12, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Thanks again for your wonderful advice.

Thanks for your nice words. I guess your built-in motherboard soundcard was quite crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back