Which rock albums to get?
May 6, 2008 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
I never used to listen to rock but I would like to start.

What are some "must have" rock albums? I am going to learn how to play electric guitar and would like to get a feel of what I will be playing.

I'm listening to another brick in the wall by Pink Floyd and think that the song is quite amazing.

May 6, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 41
no idea what type. I'm new to this stuff. All sorts of rock I guess with good guitar solos.

May 6, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 41
Here is an eclectic mix of 25 of the most important and greatest rock albums of all time....

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Who - Who's Next
Led Zeppelin - Zoso a.k.a. IV
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
AC/DC - Back in Black
The Doors - The Doors
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Clash - London Calling
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Rush - Moving Pictures
Yes - Fragile
Bob Dylan - Highway 61
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd (First album)
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Steely Dan - Aja
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Nirvana - Nevermind
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Grace is my personal favorite, but that is just a sampler of Rock's most important acts, not all of them.....but certainly some of them.

Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who......are the major bands who are known as "Album bands"

May 6, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 41
Buckethead is who you need to listen to, best electric guitarist ever (especially if you're looking for unbelievable solos)
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a free album;
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/los...ot-ntt-240020/

(see the first post in that thread)

Also, GNR: Appetite for Destruction is essential listening, as is The Wall by Pink Floyd, and just about anything by Led Zeppelin.

May 6, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 41
If you're learning to play guitar, some of the easiest stuff to start off with is Green Day. Try Dookie, Insomniac, and Nimrod for starters. American Idiot sucked.

Others to look into for good rock music:
Pearl Jam - Ten and vs.
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic and Permanent Vacation
Rush - 2112
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Anything by Van Halen from 1984 and earlier for killer guitar soloing

Seconded from earlier posts:
Nirvana - Nevermind
AC/DC - Back in Black
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

If you really want to experience some serious guitar virtuosity, look into Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Buckethead, and Liquid Tension Experiment.

Also, heavy metal has a tendency to sport some amazing guitar work, thrash metal in particular. Metal is my favorite subgenre of rock music. Try these if you're interested in metal:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Voivod - Nothingface and Killing Technology
Trivium - Ascendancy
Mastodon - Remission, Leviathan, and Blood Mountain
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Soilwork - Figure Number Five and Stabbing the Drama
Opeth - Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries
Meshuggah - obZen and Nothing

May 6, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 41
For Pink Floyd, you might want to choose other albums than Dark Side of the Moon. Wish You Were Here, or some of their slightly earlier stuff. Also, I would recommend listening to music more at the fringes of rock, such as Santana's first albums, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton ... OK, I am getting very embitious on your behalf here, but those should be your icons. And Hendrix, of course, even though Hendrix himself felt Peter Green was the man to look up to. Just don't burn your guitar when you are ready to show off to your family and friends.
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 41
Try:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Wilco
Funeral, Arcade Fire
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Neutral Milk Hotel

Plenty of good recommendations so far and I hope you like these, too.

May 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an eclectic mix of 25 of the most important and greatest rock albums of all time....

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The Who - Who's Next
Led Zeppelin - Zoso a.k.a. IV
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

There have been lots of great and creative suggestions, but I think that DavidMahler gave you the best place to start, especially with these first 6 artists. You already have a taste for Floyd, and these bands are somewhat within the same orbit (though of course all unique). These are timeless albums that every rock fan should have, so get them first. There's plenty of time to branch out into subgenres and more modern music.

May 6, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 41
Pickup Santana's first album (Santana) and Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East

They are great albums that have some of the strongest electric guitar rock at the center. Even if they are far from reach for a beginner guitarist, they are must have in the rock world.

May 6, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 41
I agree with the last two posts as a great starting point, with the addition of some Clapton. I think some of his greatest guitar work can be found on

Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

The added bonus on this album is that Duanne Allman sat in on many of the sessions, and it is great example of the heights that can be achieved from the interplay between two brilliant guitarists. It is one of the all-time best rock albums, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back