Which portable has the best FM reception?
Sep 4, 2005 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spiritboxer

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in NYC and I'm trying to p/u WBGO, a jazz station based in New Jersey. Get it fine on my home sets but none of my three portables can pick it up. Love to have it as an option when I'm wandering around so, even if it's a longshot, I figured I'd ask.
Currently have an old Sony PCDP D-FJ401, a Walkman radio SRV-M37V and a Creative MuVo N200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
blink.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Many thanks, Canuck57.

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 13
The Zen Micro I have is terrible. Sometimes I can pickup loads of stations and other times none. I'd consider returning it as faulty to be honest. My old MD Sony G750 had no issues with the same stations, nor do any of the cheap portable radios I have.

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Bit of an old thread, I know. The best less expensive portable FM radio I've found to date is the Panasonic RF-B11 - handily beats the Sony ICF-SW11 in terms of FM selectivity and sensitivity, does have non-negligible channel separation, only the sound is rather bright (OK with a K26P which is rolled off anyway), and it's not exactly microscopic. For something a bit more portable, a Degen DE1105 might fit the bill. But I sure wouldn't mind a portable audiophile-quality FM receiver...

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 13
I can honestly say that the sound coming from my unmodified Sony SRF-S84 is jaw dropping.

Selectivity and sensitivity is good too, for a radio that costs £30 new, it's hard to beat.

I have a Degan radio too for SW listening*, it's great, but the Sony beats it hands-down for FM.

* I'm a HAM, so I love the Short Wave bands.

** EDIT ** I'd actually not listened to the Degan very much on FM before I wrote this post... After listening to it just now A/B with the Sony, I don't think there's much in it.

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua
I can honestly say that the sound coming from my unmodified Sony SRF-S84 is jaw dropping.

Seconded. It kills my Tivoli Model 2's headphone out. I thought that I'd be pleasantly surprised, but not overwhelmed....but I was surprised on that count. It's very nice. I can imagine that the modded version is even nicer.

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 13
This thread got me thinking...

I pulled out my Degan DE-1103 from my drawer and plugged it into my CORDA amp using the Line-Out on the radio...

DAMN it sounds good!

It seems to be affected by my PC more than the little Sony, but with the PC off, it sounds pretty much sublime
biggrin.gif

Gotta hand it to the engineers at Degan; they know how to make a portable radio!!

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua

Hmm, this is the model recommended on Xin's site, certainly worthy of consideration. I'll be down at J&R tomorrow so I'll inquire about the Sangean models but Dr Xin's expertise is most impressive, think that's the way to go.
Thanks for all your input guys!

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 13
Spiritboxer, it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, and is a bit of a complicated workaround, but if the need for live receiving isn't there, since WBGO is an online stream, you could you could use a stream capture app on your computer, record, and then load on your MuVo. Damn, that's a long run-on. Anyway something to think about. I'm doing this with some mellow streams for work.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Spiritboxer, it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, and is a bit of a complicated workaround, but if the need for live receiving isn't there, since WBGO is an online stream, you could you could use a stream capture app on your computer, record, and then load on your MuVo. Damn, that's a long run-on. Anyway something to think about. I'm doing this with some mellow streams for work.

Traded the MuVo, Mini & some cash for that brand new 4G 20GB black&white, pure iPod all the way these days. Thanks for the idea though, I'm sure I'll work something out. Always conniving and scheming, lol.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back