Which player is the best for me?
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

1audioz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in a massive dilemma. Due to the plethora of today's music devices...I'm really perplexing myself when it comes to buying a player to replace my iPod classic.

1. The iAudio 7 and D2+ seem to have pretty good SQ ratings on Head-Fi, but I'm not so sure about eh GUI. The i7 looks pretty bland, but the D2+'s UI looks overly complicated on a screen the same size as my classic's screen.

2. The Sony X-1050 16GB looks really appealing to me. Apart from the cosmetic features, the lack of FLAC support is in one way; a deal-breaker..not that the Sony X-1050 is much of a deal. I'm fairly proficient in T9, so the "awful" web browser will be fine. The included earphones are pretty decent for bundled ones...so I won't really need to upgrade. Before I forget, the rich sound I've heard from a test Sony player (S610-series) really draws me towards it too.

3. The new iPod touch 32GB has caught my eye. The features which appeal to me most would be the WiFi access. I'm not really into apps apart from the IM ones allowing me to chat a bit while in bed. Wanting to digress from iPod SQ, I put the ipod at the bottom of my choices.

So talk me into/out of getting one of these players.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Since I rarely see the difference in lossless (apart from significantly decreased battery life), my priorities would be:

1. SQ
2. Useability (ipod classic HDD is slow and clickwheel is not really responsive)

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Get the SONY X if you have the money for it. If you have some time to wait, just wait for the new SONY A840 in October, it is promising and you'll have double capacity for the same money and lack of the touch BS (and get an S639 for the time being, as it is cheap now because it is the running out model, $120 at BestBuy)

It seems that you don't care for lossless... neither do I... just use high bitrate files!

The Iaudio 7 is old and has a bad interface... and I wouldn't trust an iPod for good SQ as it doesn't have an EQ (the SONY X has digital EQ, the S has the same interface... I am not sure there is a difference inside... when my S639 uses the EQ it stops the music for a fraction of a second. That is a digital signature. My SE phone does not interrupt and has more stages in the EQ, but it definitely doesn't have a digital EQ... the S639 sounds just really good to me! The reviews say the X sounds a little better... however I am sure it does not sound $200 better.

The S639 is 40% of the X's weight.... a great portable with a better battery life (40 hours)

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 9
I don't listen to EQ'd music, but Cowon BBE+ technology seems more promising than the old Samsung DNSe crap I've used.

My current earphones are broken, so the X-series'd bundled in-ears will be satisfactory =) .. until I can come up with money for better ones.

edit: With the imminent announcement of the iAudio 9, would it be worth the wait?

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 9
All music is EQ-ed... it is just if you stay with the sound engineer's preference (without having his gear on your ears) or you trust your own ears what sounds best for you with your own gear and correct the flaws. Sure with an HD800 and a $5000 DVD-A I wouldn't dare to use EQ... but hey... portable gear... come on. Your DAP has an EQ signature. Your phones have their own... You are better off to fit this two together... IMHO. And what is BBE+ if not EQ?

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmmmm. When I said I don't listen to music EQ'd, I was specifically referring to software/player-based EQ not the fact the all songs are mixed and enhanced from the studio.

However, looking at my options, would I be better off spending $450 AUD on a pair of Westone UM3x than buying a completely new source?

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 9
After some substantial thinking and re-consideration.

I ordered the Cowon D2+ Black 16GB (non-DAB) with the Cowon leather case as well as Audio-Technica CK7s.

The sony proved to be too expensive for what I could get; no lossless support, and the web browser is too similar to what I see on SE phones. Basic and slow.

Buying the ipod touch meant I couldn't get new "decent" earphones whatsoever since $400 was my final budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back