which phones have the largest soundstage?
Jan 28, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 39
damn, so there I was thinking I narrowed it down to 3 phones, which went down to a duel between the 880s and 501s... now I see ATs and Senns thrown in the mix again... damn this is a hard decision!! Any more opinions, anyone? I mean, which would be the shurest bet between all of these since I don't plan on spending my little hard-earned cash on audio equipemnt in the near future?

SMI²LE

Jan 28, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #32 of 39
One last suggestion would be to fill out your Head-Fi profile with as much accurate information as you can. I read the little you had in your profile before I posted to your original question. More information would have helped me give you a better answer.

For example, I do not know your country of residence. Both Meier Audio and HeadRoom have good deals on combinations of headphones and amps. Which of these to choose, once your sound preferences are clear, might well turn on where you live and, therefore, how much the systems will cost delivered to you.

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #33 of 39
there, I filled in my profile now

So now, why do you insist on saying that I should rather pick HD 600s over 501s or 880s? I won't lie to you, I'm not a big fan of Sennheiser phones since I've got some buds that had some reliability problems with them, giving me a bit of a negative image of the brand... and then it all seems so mainstream: any Joe who wants to call himself an audiophile will buy a pair of HD600s... (sorry if I'm puting my personal concepts before objectivity here). So tell me then, why should I rather go for Senns?

SMI²LE

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #34 of 39
You should get whatever phones you like after listening to them with a similar audio chain to what you plan to use.

I have had good luck with Senns since the mid-70s, but the modern Senn units with circumaural pads are really nice. My trance, electronica, and goa trance listening has caused me to appreciate hd600s bass response. Having paid for a lot of R&D in other areas, I appreciate that Senns are an accepted standard and people actually do engineering for them (improved cords, a testing standard for amps, etc.) so you can improve and upgrade your headphones over time. Any Joe may have a pair of HD600s, but does any Joe yet appreciate the improvement of a Porta CORDA amp and a set of after-market interconnects? HD600s can be modified and improved; custom has a nice panache, too.

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #35 of 39
Second vote, following FCJ - for the Sony MDR-F1...

Also, a vote for AT... the A900s have a pretty wide soundstage, and I believe the A1000s is even wider...

Pretty cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 39
hey, I didn't notice you were from Belgium, we're still more on this forum !
smily_headphones1.gif

Having a look on your profile, I saw you listen mostly to electronic music. I would rule out the AKG K501 (you would be lacking something in the bass, mostly if you don't have an amp).

Jan 28, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

hey, I didn't notice you were from Belgium, we're still more on this forum !
smily_headphones1.gif

well, that's nice to hear, I thought I was the only one. But how come it says in your profile you're from the US ? (although I reognize the belgian name in your e-mail adress)

(sorry for getting a bit off-topic) Well now, I'm working on getting some samples of the typical music I listen to online and say my expectations to how they should sound on proper phones, IMO that'll make things a LOT clearer... cause usually people think that electronica is mostly about bass, but with psytrance it's different: good lows are welcome but not essential, it's most important to have a chrystal clear sound reproduction and an airy feel to it... ah just wait for me to get those samples online, it'll all become much easier to explain then

Jan 29, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #39 of 39
As much as I like my AKG K340's, I'm going to have to vote for the AKG K501 for best soundstage. It's the best I've heard in this regard...the K340 is close, but doesn't quite get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back