Which 'phones for Soul/R&B?
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 20
I'd go with the 225's, as they're easily driven (even by your Yamaha amp) and sound really good with RB/Soul tunes. As for comfort, once you break the pads in, they're really not bad at all.

Lively, energetic, fun...what more do you need from a can?

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 20
I have both the Senn 600s with Equinox chord and the Grado SR80s. To be honest, I prefer the Grado with RnB even though ti was much cheaper due to the more forward presentation. Also, if you don't have a good amp, don' get the Senns. Grados sound decent without an amp and straight out the Ipod. In fact, I prefer Grado out the Ipod as opposed to being amped because the amping can make them sound too bright.

My perfect headphones would be something inbetween the Grados and Senns. Senns are too laid back for me and the Grados can be too forward and aggressive. Overall, for most genres, with the exception of classical, the Grados get more headtime.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My perfect headphones would be something inbetween the Grados and Senns. Senns are too laid back for me and the Grados can be too forward and aggressive. Overall, for most genres, with the exception of classical, the Grados get more headtime.

isn't that sound like a beyer, specially 990?
beyersmile.png

but everybody hear things differently. i like hd650 for some smooth one like kem or will downing, etc.

if you consider t-pain r&b, much different than, i like hfi780 with some t-pain

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't that sound like a beyer, specially 990?
beyersmile.png

but everybody hear things differently. i like hd650 for some smooth one like kem or will downing, etc.

if you consider t-pain r&b, much different than, i like hfi780 with some t-pain

I definitely may have to look into the Beyers and see their sound. Slightly aggressive, but not ear piercing highs and with good bass. I was considering them and the Denon D7000s, but the D7000s went back to their original price... so Beyers may be my next target.

Nothing like good soul and funk to me. Marvin Gaye, Maze, Willie Hutch, Bootsy Collins and so much more...

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely may have to look into the Beyers and see their sound. Slightly aggressive, but not ear piercing highs and with good bass. I was considering them and the Denon D7000s, but the D7000s went back to their original price... so Beyers may be my next target.

Nothing like good soul and funk to me. Marvin Gaye, Maze, Willie Hutch, Bootsy Collins and so much more...

if you love funk like parliament or funkadelic, you got to have dt990 because you got to hear some high note from them. the denon high is a bit, soft. dt880 isn't bad but, you just need some extra punch and bass sometimes for some faster tracks(hardcore jollies)

i usually like dt880 with maze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back