Which phone to get?
Aug 10, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Aiml3ss

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am selling my Nokia N85 (look in the for sale forums!) and I was wondering what unlocked phone I should get next?

I have my eye on few, I am currently looking at the iphone 3g/3gs, Nokia 5800 and the Blackberry storm. Anyone else have a suggestion or comment on the above or another phone I should look at?

I am leaning towards the iphone because of its ease of use and app store. I read that the Nokia is just starting to have more apps released.

So if someone could help me decide that would be great!

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 47
I would rule out the storm (not exactly blackberry's best production) I would recommend the iphone but of course at&t is not the best on service but if you are already on at&t and don't mind the service then I would highly recommend it. (phone experience has been with the 2g iphone 3g iphone and 3gs I have had a blackberry bold used the palm pre extensively (family member had one) )

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 47
Having handled the Storm I would avoid it. The clicky touchscreen is garbage. I'm sure when the next Storm comes out it will be a better contender. Personally I would likely choose the Nokia over the iPhone but that's mostly because I have no desire to install iTunes on my PC. If you like the Apple sandbox than you should go for the iPhone like everybody else.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 47
Ya get an iphone and an old blackberry (or generic verizon phone) that way you can have good service on one and a toy on the other that doesn't do calls but is great for internet and music. Be aware if you have a LOD for an ipod though that you need a different one for the touch/iphone-diffferent pin config.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 47
I'd also recommend the iPhone. I bought the original model when it came out and upgraded to the 3G. I haven't bought the 3GS because AT&T thinks I need to pay $400 for one. I might upgrade when they'll let me in April, but I'll probably hang onto the 3G until the fourth generation comes out.

In over two years of use, I've been extremely pleased with the iPhone. Actually, I'm posting from it right now.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not a heavy phone user, so it fits my needs fine, but the Internet connectivity and apps are hugely useful for me. The only other gadget I find equally indispensable is my TomTom. Unless something much better comes out, I'll be with the iPhone forever.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rule out the storm (not exactly blackberry's best production) I would recommend the iphone but of course at&t is not the best on service but if you are already on at&t and don't mind the service then I would highly recommend it. (phone experience has been with the 2g iphone 3g iphone and 3gs I have had a blackberry bold used the palm pre extensively (family member had one) )

I really wanted the Palm Pre but they haven't released an unlocked version yet.
frown.gif

Quote:

I'd also recommend the iPhone. I bought the original model when it came out and upgraded to the 3G. I haven't bought the 3GS because AT&T thinks I need to pay $400 for one. I might upgrade when they'll let me in April, but I'll probably hang onto the 3G until the fourth generation comes out.

In over two years of use, I've been extremely pleased with the iPhone. Actually, I'm posting from it right now. I'm not a heavy phone user, so it fits my needs fine, but the Internet connectivity and apps are hugely useful for me. The only other gadget I find equally indispensable is my TomTom. Unless something much better comes out, I'll be with the iPhone forever.

As of right now, I am leaning towards getting a used unlocked white iphone 3g. My family already has 2 ipod touches so I know exactly how to use one and such. Plus the remote app is awesome if you have an airport express!

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 47
I have a Blackberry Tour and I love it. I am not a touchscreen fan so the iPhone and the Storm were out for me and I have had quite a few Blackberrys so it just seemed like a good choice, plus I have been really happy with Verizon.

If you are looking for apps the iPhone is what you most likely want, the BB store is nice but it doesn't compare even close. I only have Pandora and Google Maps on my phone but I don't really use it for the apps.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 47
Currently have an HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1), and if you don't mind the looks, it's probably the most functional phone I've ever seen. If you can deal without the keyboard, the HTC Magic (T-Mobile myTouch 3G) is functionally the same, albeit looks nicer.

What carrier are you on right now (AT&T I assume) and are you looking to switch maybe? T-Mobile has been really really good for me...

If you can wait a few, the HTC Hero and Samsung Galaxy are the best of the brew in my eyes.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 47
I have the iphone 3gs. Well worth the money imo. I was actually considering the blackberry bold but it's only a 2.0mp camera :/.

Before even getting the iphone I was planning to get a Nokia N97, but after reading reviews I decided not to get it.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 47
What will you be doing with? If you have multimedia or power-intensive programs in mind, I'd recommend against most of the recent HTCs. They use the same dated processor that wasn't even welcome last gen. The (jailbroken) iphone is both versatile and fast, but it lacks native multi-tasking and there are apparently security flaws. (Not good for business use)

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What will you be doing with? If you have multimedia or power-intensive in mind, I'd recommend against most of the recent HTCs. They use the same dated processor that wasn't even welcome last gen. The (jailbroken) iphone is both versatile and fast, but it lacks native multi-tasking and there are apparently security flaws. (Not good for business use)

Just a college kid. Obviously this means I text and talk a lot for no apparent reason!
tongue.gif
So something durable and stable I guess.

I am also a huge techie and that's why I purchased my Nokia N85 in the first place. Has TONS of features.

I'll look into the Blackberry Tour also. Thanks everyone so far!

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 47
^ Get the iphone then, if you don't mind the software keyboard. You'll have a lot more "fun", especially if you jailbreak it. (I plan on getting a Touch in the fall)

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 47
I got a Android Dev Phone 1 a little ways back...Android's a ton of fun, really functional, and Google's a great deal less irritating than Apple. It's the best phone I've ever had...both soft- and hardware keyboards.

Android = highly recommended.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Get the iphone then, if you don't mind the software keyboard. You'll have a lot more "fun", especially if you jailbreak it. (I plan on getting a Touch in the fall)

That's what I am leaning towards. Ya I would have to jailbreak it/unlock it because I do not want to pay the extra $30 bucks a month for the stupid data plan.

Quote:

I got a Android Dev Phone 1 a little ways back...Android's a ton of fun, really functional, and Google's a great deal less irritating than Apple. It's the best phone I've ever had...both soft- and hardware keyboards.

Android = highly recommended.

Does the Android come unlocked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back