Which phone should I get
Jul 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to decide between 3 phones at the moment, and am wondering whether people here have ownership experience of any of them.

The HTC Diamond is interesting, but the Samsung i780 is tempting because its slightly cheaper and it has a QWERTY keypad, which I really want.

The HTC Touch is in there because its cheaper than either of them, but I do know that specification wise it is a bit sluggish compared to the other two.

So, vote away!

Touch_Diamond_People.jpg

sm_i780fmg.jpg

htc-touch.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't ever use my mobile phone for music, so 3.5mm isn't an issue for me.

I do, however, need wifi, the ability to edit office docs, sync with outlook and other similar stuff. In short, I need a "business" phone, not a media phone....

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Nokia E71? Has QWERTY, edits office docs, not sure if it syncs with outlook but I'm sure there's a way (S60 is open to new features).

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 23
Ah, forgot to mention I want to stick to windows mobile........

My sister has an E71, and she's been having problems with it. I've also had really bad experiences with Nokia phones and their customer service department, so I'm determined not to get another Nokia again.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 23
out of those the samsung looks the best. my friend has a htc, its trying to copy the iphone.

I've got a windows mobile pda and a nokia e71 and i've played with loads of other phones,
i'd recommend either going with the e71 or buying a Android phone or a different symbian phone.

windows mobile is beyond awful, i'd rather have an iphone and i don't like the iphone at all, its a toy.

windows mobile is glitchy, crashes, awkward to use. my wm pda is now used as a door-stop and i don't want to burden anyone by giving it away.

btw my e71 gets between 3 - 10+ hours of use a day, its still strong as ever and the battery life is excellent with hardcore use. (bluetooth is always on, wifi, 3g). gets switched off about once every few months. it has office so you can create stuff and send it straight to pc.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 23
What's wrong with an iPhone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short, I need a "business" phone, not a media phone....

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, forgot to mention I want to stick to windows mobile........

Ah, right. Sorry, hadn't read your replies yet. Ignore my question.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out of those the samsung looks the best. my friend has a htc, its trying to copy the iphone.

I've got a windows mobile pda and a nokia e71 and i've played with loads of other phones,
i'd recommend either going with the e71 or buying a Android phone or a different symbian phone.

windows mobile is beyond awful, i'd rather have an iphone and i don't like the iphone at all, its a toy.

windows mobile is glitchy, crashes, awkward to use. my wm pda is now used as a door-stop and i don't want to burden anyone by giving it away.

btw my e71 gets between 3 - 10+ hours of use a day, its still strong as ever and the battery life is excellent with hardcore use. (bluetooth is always on, wifi, 3g). gets switched off about once every few months. it has office so you can create stuff and send it straight to pc.

Hmm, its hard to get decent 3rd party apps for Symbian, and I'm not ready to jump on to the Android wagon just yet as I still feel it has a lot of maturing to do. The problem with Android atm is that the whole OS isn't very standardized yet, and stilll needs quiet a bit of working on if my experience with the G1 was anything to go by. Having said that, the HTC Hero does look very cool.

Which version of Windows mobile did you use? I find it quiet easy to navigate around, and its much more open to tweaking than Symbian. I also haven't had any issues with WM either...

The main thing is that I can get one of these 3 relatively cheaply second hand to hold me over till Windows mobile 7 comes out, so I don't want to blow a crap load of money now on a WM6/WM6.1 device.

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 23
If you edit docs, go for the samsung since it has a hardware keyboard. (Though I've read the buttons themselves feel stiff) The other two have 2.8" screens IIRC, meaning the virtual keyboards will be very cramped. Can't you get your hands on a htc touch pro?

As for Winmo7, it's gonna be a long while before that actually comes out. Hell 6.5 is barely out the gate, if at all...

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 23
^Yeah, but I just need something reasonable and affordable to hold me over.

The touch pro is hideously expensive, and even after offloading a lot of my audio gear (which, btw, I'm doing to fund the purchase) I'd still come up short.

The Samsung I can get for $265AUD brand new, the Touch Diamond I'm looking at atm is about $320AUD 2nd hand in reasonable shape. Touch will be around the $260AUD mark new.

Here's a left-field option I just remembered:

g700.jpg

I know I just said I'm not a big fan of Symbian, but at $200AUD brand new from ebay it is an intriguing option.

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 23
I voted for the HTC Diamond- flash it with WM6.5 from XDA-Dev and you're good to go. I'm running 6.5 on my HTC Wizard and absolutely love it. Now that I've seen Dad's iPhone 3GS I think my next phone will probably be Windows Mobile.

Edit: Is the touch pro available? It's similar to the Diamond but with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 23
If you are looking for a business, phone, I would say that a physical qwerty keyboard is an absolute must, so I would recommend the middle phone that you listed.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 23
thats the touch screen sony? that looked good, remembering checking it out a while ago. nicest option you have imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back