Which pair of noise-canceling headphones do you recommend?

Are the Sony WH-1000XM3 still king?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No (if no, please post which pair you think is superior in the thread)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Dec 6, 2019 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello! I am in the market for a pair of noise-canceling headphones (I moved into a new apartment with noisy upstairs neighbors). I have heard in the past that the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones are widely considered to be the best pair of noise-canceling headphones money can buy. Is this still the case? Or has another pair come along and dethroned them?

UPDATE: I am still in the market for noise-canceling headphones but have decided to cross the Sony pair off my list. I am now deciding between the Bowers & Wilkins PX7, the new version of the Momentum Wireless, and the DALI IO-6 because those cans let you connect to your source via USB-C cable. Of these options, which is the best pair overall, considering all factors? Or is there another pair I should look into?

Thank you,
Alec

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 17
For me the Sony is still kinda a golden mean amongst these. If you want to make calls the Bose 700 bests them while being similar in ANC, if you want SQ then the Dali and even Sennheiser Momentum 3 best them (while losing in other areas). Some have BT multi connection, or Apt-X low latency, which are significant selling points for some (I know the Senns do, not sure off the top of my head which others do). So various reasons you might choose a different ANC can, but I would still say the Sony best represent a golden mean - comfortable, decent sounding (within this class of headphones), LDAC, fold small for convenient carry when travelling, competitive battery life, great ANC.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 17
(Copied from above)

UPDATE: I am still in the market for noise-canceling headphones but have decided to cross the Sony pair off my list. I am now deciding between the Bowers & Wilkins PX7, the new version of the Momentum Wireless, and the DALI IO-6 because those cans let you connect to your source via USB-C cable. Of these options, which is the best pair overall, considering all factors? Or is there another pair I should look into?

Thank you,
Alec

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 17
Bose NC 700 is the best ANC headphone on the market right now.

I also own the Sony WH1000XM3 but it sucks as the earcups are too shallow (my ears touch the drivers inside of the headphone which is not comfortable). This is a major design flaw of the Sony’s. But luckly I got the Sony with a huge discount so I don’t care too much about it.

I’m pretty sure this issue will not be fixed with the WH-1000XM4, because this problem has been there since the original WH-1000XM.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Double-A: I am a pragmatic thinker, and this thread confuses me. If you want an ANC headphone and one of your "no compromises" is a USB C connection to source, how is a poll with WH 1000XM3 is still king going to help you? Polls are just p*ssing contests anyway. For the record I own a pair of said Sonys, with Dekoni Choice Suede pads. But that doesn't mean that I think Sony XM3 are the "best". That's because "best" is a non qualified word in most contexts. They just suit my needs and purpose. I didn't vote.
You should identify what is important to you.

Sound signature? Neutral, bass beast, sound stage?
ANC-Must be best in class for neighbour noise (voices or other), street noise, flights etc.
Do you have a big or smaller head? Ears - elf, elephant etc. Comfort is important.
Weight -can you handle heavier sturdy headphones or need light weight?
Cost -any price or bang for buck?
Battery power, important or not? Charge whilst listening?
Multiple device vs single at one time?
Is phone usage an issue?
And for you -Must have USB C music connection.

You will get a better result if you ask the right questions. Better still if you can listen to one or two and know what you like don't like.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 17
Thank you for weighing in!

I looked at the 700s but decided against them because it looks like you can’t use them wired with a USB-C cable. That’s what I gathered from the user manual, anyway.

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 17

I also own the Sony WH1000XM3 but it sucks as the earcups are too shallow (my ears touch the drivers inside of the headphone which is not comfortable). This is a major design flaw of the Sony’s. But luckly I got the Sony with a huge discount so I don’t care too much about it.

I’m pretty sure this issue will not be fixed with the WH-1000XM4, because this problem has been there since the original WH-1000XM.
Please give me the XM3 if you don't like it. It would be my pleasure to put it to use.

Thank you.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 17

I've got the XM2 with aftermarket ear cup pads. They make all the the difference in the world. Better sound, greater comfort, and really good NC.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 17
I've got the XM2 with aftermarket ear cup pads. They make all the the difference in the world. Better sound, greater comfort, and really good NC.

Thanks. I will check out some aftermarket pads then.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 17
I've have heard only QC 35 ii, it's great.
Based only on the test I would still purchase QC 35ii. But that's just my opinion.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/700-headphones-wireless

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018

"The Bose NC 700 have a significantly better integrated microphone and stronger noise isolation, which makes them great if you take a lot of calls on-the-go. The QC35 II, on the other hand, are more comfortable and have a more balanced, neutral frequency response, which makes them better if you want something ultra-comfortable to enjoy your favorite tracks with. In addition, the QC35 II have NFC, which the Bose 700 are lacking, and have a physical control scheme that’s easier-to-use."

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Nope, I also have the QC35II and the NC 700 is more neutral.

The QC35 II has an active bass boost which changes depending the volume. It can sound ok but it can also sound a bit muddy at times. With the NC 700, they fixed this.

An other problem is the grainy treble of the QC35II. This is fixed with a new driver on the NC 700 delivering higher audio quality.

The QC35 II is still king of comfort however.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 17
I just bought 3 months old Sony WH-1000XM3 for 160euros.
I ended up with those mostly because better app, and eq. I owned Bose QC 35 mk2 for a while, interesting to see(heard) how Sony holds up.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 17
I just got Sonys. Without eq Sonys have poor soundquality, boomy. Bose QC 35ll weeps floor with Sonys. Imo.
But Sony’s app is very handy and eq saves a lot. NC is awesome.
Bose is much comfortable.
Overall winner is Bose, in my books.
But i’ll keep Sony’s, NC and app are good. I will use thes at work, so soundquality is not so important.
Bose is more comfy though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back