Which pair of headphones is better in terms of sound quality?
Mar 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

studentofSound

New Head-Fier

I'm completely new this and I want to be sure before I make purchases of this amount. 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones priced at $125

or

V-Moda M-80 shadow headphones priced at $150

I like both, but I want the best quality out of the money I spend

I'm open to additional recommendations as well. ($100-150 range)

I listen to Rock, metal, alternative. Things in that range

I'm do like bass, but it doesn't have to be a lot. 

For a better example, I'm using the Klisph S4-II and I love the bass that comes from them

Thanks for any input in advance.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 16
I have only heard the M50s. Very tight sound with slightly recessed mids but good bass. Its not so much your drowning in it but its plenty for rock tracks. They are a little more expensive but then they are also one of the most loved headphones on Head Fi, so your sorta buying into their legacy

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 16
I have only heard the M50s. Very tight sound with slightly recessed mids but good bass. Its not so much your drowning in it but its plenty for rock tracks. They are a little more expensive but then they are also one of the most loved headphones on Head Fi, so your sorta buying into their legacy

That's the pair I'm leaning towards. That sounds exactly what I am looking for. Nothing too heavy in bass, but just enough. They seem like a good choice to begin with. Is there a difference between the M50s and the M50x?

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 16
New/used DT770 80 ohms could probably be used without an amp.

HA-S500 is a good choice for rock given your preferred sound because it's really V-shaped with tight bass after long burn in.

Neither M50 nor M80 is ideal for rock even if you like bass. The former has thin treble; the latter not enough treble.

M50: coiled cable
M50s: straight cable
M50x: detachable cable(s)

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 16

I'm completely new this and I want to be sure before I make purchases of this amount. 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones priced at $125

or

V-Moda M-80 shadow headphones priced at $150

I like both, but I want the best quality out of the money I spend

I'm open to additional recommendations as well. ($100-150 range)

I listen to Rock, metal, alternative. Things in that range

I'm do like bass, but it doesn't have to be a lot. 

For a better example, I'm using the Klisph S4-II and I love the bass that comes from them

Thanks for any input in advance.

The M50 is A LOT better than the Vmoda.

The Ultrasone HFI-580s are just as good as the M50s and they have more bass.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 16

The M50 is A LOT better than the Vmoda.

The Ultrasone HFI-580s are just as good as the M50s and they have more bass.

Im also leaning towards the 580s for the fun factor. The more I keep reading about the M50 the more I tend to look for alternatives.

The M50 didn't have enough bass for my tastes...the 580 had too much (I'm not a basshead).  I imagine that anyone who likes a lot of bass (good bass...punchy and controlled) would love the 580.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 16
The M50 didn't have enough bass for my tastes...the 580 had too much (I'm not a basshead).  I imagine that anyone who likes a lot of bass (good bass...punchy and controlled) would love the 580.

Agreed.

The 580s also have a much more engaging surround effect; the M50s are demure sounding overall to me in comparison. But you definitely gotta like the extra bass.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 16
Agreed.

The 580s also have a much more engaging surround effect; the M50s are demure sounding overall to me in comparison. But you definitely gotta like the extra bass.

I do like the look of the 580s. The bass isn't overwhelming? I like bass, but I'm not really a basshead either. Also, are they light-weight for traveling?

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 16
I do like the look of the 580s. The bass isn't overwhelming? I like bass, but I'm not really a basshead either. Also, are they light-weight for traveling?

They are light, but they are not the most portable can you can buy.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 16

I like their durability, but they don't fold up as small as actual portable, on ear headphones. Probably not much bigger than the M50s though.

I would suggest that you order from somewhere that you can return the headphones--whichever one you buy. For example, usually it's only $10 to $12 to return headphones to Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon and RMA is easy (not the the 3rd party vendors that do their own shipping, though). That's what I do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back