Which orthodynamics sound best with Schiit Lyr?
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jfrocke

Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Lyr on order. I'll initially be using HD600's and Foxtex T50RP's (haven't even heard these yet but have them on order). I chose the Lyr partially because of the ability to drive some of the more difficult to drive orthodynamics.

For those of you that own (or owned) the Lyr - what are your sonic impressions of it driving the LCD-2/3 or HE5/500/6? Not sure what I might actually be able to listen to before purchase so I am hoping to narrow it down before purchasing from a vendor that offers a return policy.

I listen to a wide variety of music - generally well recorded audiophile stuff + classic rock + occassionally some classical. I'm a newbie at headphones so I can't offer much comparison to what I have heard. Right now I am using UE TF10's with the iBasso D7. I like this combination and will keep them for use with my laptop. I find this combination a bit warm in the mids, highs are clean, could use a little more bass. Thanks

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 5
The headphones almost always make a much bigger difference than the amp so you should concentrate on that instead since the Lyr should have the power for whatever you throw at it.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Heya,

I've really enjoyed my HE-500 on my Lyr. The mids were just gorgeous and lush, the treble was so clear and natural. The bass was low, extended, rich and just felt like it went on for days. Such a wonderful sound all together. My only issues that I would at least suggest to be aware of, is that I found that sometimes I would hear noise from the tube sockets and had to move tubes to make it stop from time to time. Because of this I eventually went back to using solid state primarily for listening on another amp, but that's an isolated thing, not a problem with all Lyrs, or all tube amps for that matter. I didn't have any issue with high noise floor on the setup, unless the volume was cranked very high. The Lyr is overkill though for the HE500 and LCD2 I think. It generates so much power, yet all that is roughly needed is around a single watt. Still, it's a beautiful amp and looks great next to the also beautiful Bifrost, so why not.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back