Which one to get : ESI juli@ or EMU 0404 USB 2.0?
Dec 5, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

freakmax

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a soundcard with a digital out to feed my Lavry DA10.

What would you recommend?
Which one sound better?

a) Foobar (FLAC) > juli@ > Lavry DA10 > balanced HD650,RS-1

or

b) Foobar (FLAC) > EMU 0404 > Lavry DA10 > balanced HD650,RS-1

My local shop sells the juli@ for about 200USD and EMU for 340 USD .

biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 13
I used to use a EMU 0404 PCI card (if you search this forum there was an extensive thread re 0404 USB. I've since been much happier with the Juli@ (I use Juli's on 2 machines) - a very stable good-sounding card. While it doesn't help you - the Juli normally sells for $159 in the US, but with some searching can still be found for $129 here. Particularly, with the price differential for you - there is absolutely no quality or monetary reason to consider that 0404.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 13
the juli@ is arguably better than the higher e-mu cards so vs the 0404 it should be no contest (I haven't heard it myself to verify tho) unless you need the external sound card it doesn't make sense to get the 0404.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks! I would probably go for the juli@.

Actually , my mainboard has the SPDIF out and I'm quite satisfied with it but just curious.
Would the juli@ better than the onboard digital out?(I think it should be better.)

Would there be a big improvement?

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I would probably go for the juli@.

Actually , my mainboard has the SPDIF out and I'm quite satisfied with it but just curious.
Would the juli@ better than the onboard digital out?(I think it should be better.)

Would there be a big improvement?

I am also curious about this. Would it really be better to use a Juli@ instead for SPDIF out compare to the onboard digi-out?

Another question, is there any mod to further improve the digital out of Juli@?

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 13
^I'd wanna know too.

Slightly off topic, is the 1212 a better dac than the 0404?

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 13
From what I've read, the 1212M has the best digital output of all of the aforementioned cards, and also the best analog performance according to the RMAA results. The ESI Juli@ is an older card with older components. The Edirol will probably have the lowest performance of the equipment mentioned.

Regarding 1212M vs. 0404 USB, it's not really a competition. They both sound good, but have different sound signatures due to the use of top-of-the-line DACs from different manufacturers. The 1212M (Cirrus CS4398) sounds warm but very detailed and extended, especially in the upper-mid to high frequencies, while the 0404 USB (AKM AK4396) is a bit cool but very resolving. I wouldn't call either one "laid-back," necessarily.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1212M (Cirrus CS4398) sounds warm but very detailed and extended, especially in the upper-mid to high frequencies, while the 0404 USB (AKM AK4396) is a bit cool but very resolving. I wouldn't call either one "laid-back," necessarily.

Curious. What is the distinction you use between "detailed" and "resolving"?

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious. What is the distinction you use between "detailed" and "resolving"?

They're flowery words, for sure... In my system, the 1212M made all of the "internal" sounds more decipherable--I had the impression that I was hearing into the music. The 0404 USB on the other hand, tended to present a better overall picture; it was like having the music laid out on a table in front of me rather than being "in" it. I'd say that the 0404 USB was the more "clinical" and less "involving" of the two, and this has been my experience with other devices containing AKM DACs as well. Though, I wouldn't hesitate to call the 1212M "analytical."

It's tough to talk about them in objective terms, just because they both measure very well and have their own subjective musical strengths. It also doesn't help that I don't have them side by side to perform a decent A/B comparison. So, take my advice with a grain of salt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 13
I don't regret getting my Juli@ at all. I haven't tried the digital out yet, and I will as soon as I get a DAC. The analog out sure beats the internal soundcard that came with my PowerMac G4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back