Which one, oh which one
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

magicianky

New Head-Fier
Having done some reading here, I have noticed that people use different amps for different IEM's. I'm curious if there is one that performs equally well with various IEM's so my poor wallet can hurt a little less and only have to get 1. I have SE530's, Copper and Gold Turbine Pro's, and UE 10 Pro's (don't use these much anymore, they sound... muted compared to the others).

Thanks for any input!

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Head-Fi answer: RSA Shadow or Protector,, Or Pico Slim. Those are the FOTM's.

My answer: Tomahawk $299 or Go-Vibe Petite $219 w/dac.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 8
The best way to save your wallet would be not to get an amp at all. I know that the TF10s don't need an amp (as I own a pair) and I don't recall the others you own needing an amp either. I gather improvement can be had if you own the more sensitive IEMs, such as the JH-13s or some Westones, but really, IEMs are designed to work straight from a DAP. Do you feel there is something wrong with your portable rig? What result are you hoping to get? An amp wont change the sound signature of a pair of headphones or make poor music sound better. Is your music all lossless (eg: FLAC or ALAC)? Ensuring that would be a better place to start.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input.

I certainly don't notice anything wrong with the 530's TF10's or T-Pro's, just trying to coax as much out of them as I can. At the moment I have all my music encoded at a high rate, but not in a lossless format and don't have the time to sit down and re-rip 2000 cd's, so looking for other ways to get more audio nirvana.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 8
I have the TF10s too and an amp helped, but a simple low cost improvement is to upgrade your files to as a high a bit rate your storage can handle, lossless being ideal, then if you get an amp and upgrade your phones, you will be feeding them with a much higher quality level of music.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 8
In all honesty I found getting the Null Audio cable for my TF10s more effective than buying an amp for them. Considering how little difference cables make in scheme of things, that says something. The stock TF10 cable is seriously poor though. Some clear, grating harshness on instruments went with the re-cable.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Maybe that's the issue I've been having with the TF10's. Is there enough difference between the Lune cable and Enyo cable to justify the extra $$?

And as for the SE530's and Turbine Pro's, the general consensus is not to bother with an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back