Which one of these are the best?
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #16 of 20
There are cheaper options, but if you really want to spend that amount you probably want one of the following:

ATH-ES7
HD25-1 or HD25-II (NOT sp)
Denon D1000
Equation Audio RP-21

These are the favorite choices around here for the moment in closed portables at your price range. (maybe the new M-Audio Q40 will be joining them, too soon to say) Read this for advice, but don't worry too much about his ranking-- there are people here who love each of four options I mention.

To back this up, by the way: you really want a supra-aural portable for your use because it will be much easier to toss in your bag. You want closed because it's loud enough outside that you won't be able to hear your music as well with open headphones, and if you ever decided to use them in the library/study room/dorm room, people will want to kill you if you have open headphones. All of these headphones will sound good without a separate headphone amp, though the HD25 probably need one more than the others do.

Finally if you want something cheaper, get a K81dj, a philips HP460, or a Panasonic RP-HTX7, also all well-regarded options around here. Merry Xmas, FV

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 20
Another vote for the ES7...2 pair in my home.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which hd-25 are you talking about? There are quite a few of them.

All the Beyerdynamic models are out of my price range,except maybe the DT 440's. How are those?

I'm looking for a pair thats $100-150 mainly.

Right now the biggest influences on my purchase is isolation and a short cord. Bose Around-Ear's have a 5 foot cord. Thats what I want. All the Sennheiser models have like 10 foot cords which aren't portable IMO, unless I'm mistaken.

The dt-250-80's should ring in under $150. dt-770's for $150 used.

the HD25-1 (now the hd25-1 II) is what people refer to, nine times out of ten, on head-fi anyway. They'll specify HD25sp if that is what they mean (though, with your budget, they may not be that bad a choice - just listen to them first).

Open headphones like the dt-440 won't block out any ambient sound, and to hear your music on the go you'll have to crank them to damaging levels, and eventually you won't be hearing much of anything.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
portability? open phones are a no-no.

look at the sennheiser hd-25, beyerdynamic dt-770 pro 80 ohm, dt-250-80. All closed, great sound, and good isolation, and all three are quite rugged.

i have heard 2 of these and the 3rd one is on the way..

if these 3 were up, i would look at what your criteria were for listening, DO you prefer DJing music, or do you like other genres as well.

The DT770 "THUMPPER" should stamp the other 2 down as far as bass is concerned, THe HD-25 is very useful cos it is portable and rugged again, the DT250 i am told is studio reference monitor headphones.. so decide which strand you like and of you go..

but really do look past senn's at other brands as there are several good ones around..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back