Which one is a more beneficial for me? Zero or LD MKII?
Aug 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

st4r0c3an

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. I am currently driving a pair of HD580 though laptop->Terratec AudiMax 5.1 USB (headphone out)->C&C box v2. The sound card have S/PDF out and headphone out with no line out. I am wondering out of Zero and MKII, which one will be a better upgrade for me. Thanks.

One more thing, please don't say get both and use the Zero as a pre emp for the MKII
frown.gif
I am easily convinced/tempted, and my wallet won't appreciate that.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 12
The Zero with HDAM module is a great "all in one" solution for you, I think. Nice DAC, good headphone stage, and awesome value for the dollar (or Looney, in your case, lol).

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 12
I did a bit of searching but what's that HDAM module? I don't plan on modding either one of them as I tend to break things when I open them up.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 12
hi, mk2 sounds warm and clean.It is a nice amp but have only a pair of RCAs for input if I am right. Compare to mk2, Zero has more choices of outputs and it is not only a amp but a good DAC which will bring a lot fun. Finally trust me that Zero worths more than mk2. It is selling at a higher price than mk2 in the original market,say China. I would go for Z if I were you.
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, don't worry about hdam which refers to part of the circuit inside

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 12
The HDAM is a discrete opamp module, replacing the stock opamps...it's really easy to install, no worries. You can get it as a kit, or a pre-built unit. Here's a link: CLICKY

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HDAM is a discrete opamp module, replacing the stock opamps...it's really easy to install, no worries. You can get it as a kit, or a pre-built unit. Here's a link: CLICKY

ohh, man. it looks so interesting. I am trying to do this soon.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling it'll be hard to acquire the HDAM here in Canada.

Why ? They are shipped worldwide just like the Zero...I have a Zero with HDAM (soon to add more modules when they arrive) and live in the Greater Toronto Area....so...no worries there.

Peete.

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that the Burson thing is a joke right? If you're going to the lengths of replacing an opamp with a "discrete" one, why not just skip it and use a real amplifier?

Real... Amplifier... Damn you, now I have to buy BOTH Zero and the MKII
triportsad.gif
*pulls out credit card* Now all I am hoping for is that my HD580 will sound amazing.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that the Burson thing is a joke right? If you're going to the lengths of replacing an opamp with a "discrete" one, why not just skip it and use a real amplifier?

Not buying from Burson,never did, never will...not at those costs. A little digging revealed Burson's OEM in China...so......

All of us (the Zero group) have been buying these from the OEM, saving a pile of cash in the process.

A little digging and a little luck...will always save you plenty buck
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS you do realize the Zero can be a stand alone line level DAC don't you......and used to feed "a real amp"
biggrin.gif
That's the most most common use for it...you know !!

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, I was thinking about doing Foobar->soundcard-s/pdif->zero->LD mkii

If I connect it like that, I can use zero as both a dac AND as a pre-amp right? Maybe a set up like this will finally motivate me to switch over to a higher bitrate than 192.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back