Which one are you?
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 24
Such blanket characterizations remind me of astrology. Here is mine own generalization: rap = for teenage morons. As far as I am concerned, rap died with Tupac.

I enjoy love songs and 80s and 90s pop, which do not seem to be on the OP's list.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
I've got a bunch of those genres on my playlist. I think it is a little too general.

Precisely. I actually have all of those genres (except country).  Also, how about classic rock? Folk? Electronic? Alternative? Punk, Post-Punk, and Ska? I spend quite a lot of my time with those.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #21 of 24
My current theory is that the type of music you can listen to and enjoy (and what you're looking for in it) is largely defined by about 1/3 personality and 2/3 what you get to hear in your youth, especially early teens and thereabouts (always a critical phase). Getting into things that require a listening approach totally different from what you're used to is tough, and will require an ever more open mind the older you get.

Maybe it would be insightful to look at the artist (/composer) - listener relationship for various genres. This is relatively indirect for classical music, a bit like looking at pictures in an exhibition. Things can be appreciated without anything jumping at you, which would obviously attract shy people (but obviously not only them, given the bandwidth of things that can be expressed). The same approach also tends to work with at least part of prog rock / metal, jazz and whatever else could be considered "epic". Compare this to how rough plain rock and other genres can be. And then there is folk and songwriter material, which requires another approach again.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 24
My favorite genres are indie/alternative and I do have low-self esteem but im a hard worker. Also what about the people like me who don't listen to mainstream hip hop, but love underground/indie rap? Where do we stand?

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 24
To those that said they listen to all sorts or several genres, and claim that the analysis is flawed...

Everyone has multiple personalities that adhere to different contexts and moods, say you're in a party full of strangers > you will be more shy, compared to a family party.

I believe such an analysis will help you to identify your main personality traits at the point in time and give you a better understanding of the correlation between music, mood, and personality.

I like to listen to classical when I'm alone in quiet surroundings, pop (heavy bass) on the bus and in the morning when I'm leaving home.

I guess I'm shy, outgoing and have low,high-self esteen at the same time. DAMN IM WEIRD

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 24
Music defines your personality...i like rock and some classical, but im very outgoing. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back