Which of these is best for Grado RS1s?
Dec 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

JLChristie

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Im currently running Grado RS1s through a Rega Ear. Source is a Naim CD5x. Im wondering which of the below amps would be best with the RS1 headphones?

I find the Rega is overly bright with the RS1s, even at med volumes with some cds. Its also not very revealing. Iv heard tubes are a bad idea with Grados unless you spend a LOT?

Little Dot MK IV SE - $640 NZ
Little Dot MK III Headphone - $400 NZ
Rega Ear - $400 NZ
Trends Audio PA-10 Tube - $400 NZ
Firestone Audio Fubar III - $650 NZ
Pro-Ject Head Box SE II - $500 NZ
Grado RA-1 - $999 NZ (possibly cheaper, can get via USA)
Perreaux SXH2 - $999 NZ
Creek OBH-21 - $540 NZ
Creek OBH-21SE - $830 NZ
Meier Audio Corda Cantate - $830 NZ
Meier Audio Corda Swing - $500 NZ
Naim Headphone Amp - $1300 NZ approx

Iv heard good things about the Little Dot MK IV SE, bad things about the RA-1 and Creek, and mixed things about the Perreaux.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 46
My RS1i sound fine from my Little Dot MKIV SE, but haven't tried them with any of the other amps you mention.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 46
I would suggest you also consider the Graham Slee products (Novo or Solo) and include them to your list.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 46
Get a Millet Hybrid amp. They pop up in the FS forums here a lot.

Sounds great with my HF-2s!

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 46
Tubes vs SS for Grado is a generalization (albeit, I prefer tubes w/Joe Grado HP2, and did SS with RS-1). I see nothing necessarily gained by using s full-sized amp for RS-1.......the Pico does a very nice job with them. OTOH - if plugging them in at my desk I'd pick my EAR HP4 w/two Tubg Sols inserted in the rear 2 sockets. The Blue Circles SBH is not a slouch with them either.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 46
My recently departed WA6 (which will most likely be replaced with a WA6 SE) played very nicely with my 325i's. Much, much better results than with my OTL Darkvoice, you could probably find one for not too much more than the LD mk IVse. Please note that I have never heard a LD amp, but I do know that most are OTL.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLChristie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iv heard tubes are a bad idea with Grados unless you spend a LOT?

I jumped to tubes with a MAD Ear+HD to preciselly drive my RS1's and i could not be more happier, the sinergy with the grados is incredible, taming the highs and adding body to the bass.
But not only the RS1's, it sounds so good with my HD650's and K701's that i finished my amp quest, the Ear+HD is the keeper.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 46
I'd say go with punkaroo's advice and go with a hybrid like a Millet Minimax or another hybrid amp. It gives you the synergy Grado's have with solid state amps and also allows you to tailor the sound to your liking by rolling different tubes. I'm currently running HF2's out of a Head Direct EF1 and I'm really enjoying it.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Millet Hybrid amp. They pop up in the FS forums here a lot.

Sounds great with my HF-2s!

Indeed Hybrids sound great with Grado's. Take a look at a X-CanV8P sometime. They may be $500, but worth it IMO.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 46
I like the RS1 with both the Little Dot MkIV and the Heed Canamp. So, I can't say it must be either SS or tubes with Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back