Audio-Technica ATH-AD500 ($79-99)
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 ($149)
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 ($114-199)
Grado SR60 ($69)
Grado SR80 ($95)
Grado SR125 ($150-200)
Sennheiser HD-555 ($149-159)
Sennheiser HD-595 ($199-250)

i never really had good headphones before i listen to all types of music but my fav style probably is dream pop/shoegazer my bloody valentine, slowdive, a.r. kane, cocteau twins style of music... but really i listen to everything but rap.

i will most likely be getting the maranzt cd5001 with no additional amp or any mods or anything just stock.

i will be using the player + headphones to lay in my bed and listen to alot of music. probably 3-4 hours a day of music most likely.

the sr60 would be my best fit budget wise but i could probably squeeze some extra funds to get one of the more expensive pairs.

any thoughts, comments, advice? THANKS
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 5
If it were me, I'd look into the HD 595's, but you can find them for closer to 170 on ebay, or elsewhere if you look. Used of possible too.
Also, I would think about Goldring DR150's for around the same price.
But keep in mind my recommendations are based on cans that are easily driven and can handle a variety of music with little amplification.
The 5001 is a good start, because the headphone jack ought to give you decent amplification for almost all the cans you listed.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me, I'd look into the HD 595's, but you can find them for closer to 170 on ebay, or elsewhere if you look. Used of possible too.
Also, I would think about Goldring DR150's for around the same price.
But keep in mind my recommendations are based on cans that are easily driven and can handle a variety of music with little amplification.
The 5001 is a good start, because the headphone jack ought to give you decent amplification for almost all the cans you listed.

good to hear about the headphone jack.
i'm still debating a little i'm really digging the audio-technica noise cancellation phones.

i think it's a battle between
alessandro / gradosr60 / audio technica noise cancellation over ear

grado makes sense budget wise but something draws me to those other 2.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm lovin' my MS-1's more and more, the more and more I listen to them. Seem to do well for all types of music that I throw at them. Don't plunge to the lowest frequency depths, but what is there, is clean!

Of course, I don't have much of a frame of reference, because I don't have much to compare them to... but... it's still input, I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back