Which of these headphones are the best?
Feb 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

soundstage77

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I started a thread a few months ago looking for recommendations on a pair of open and a pair of closed headphoens. After picking up a pair of HD650 (which I really like), I'm looking to get a closed pair of headphones for listening at work and occasional travel (doesn't necessarily have to be ultra portable). In that thread a few headphones were recommended to me: AKG K545, Sennheiser Momentums, Sony MDR-1R, etc. I thought I was going to go with the Sony's but decided to wait a little while before purchasing a closed pair.

After reading countless reviews, I've narrowed down to these four (4) headphones: AKG K545, V-moda M-100, Sony MDR-1R, and Sennheiser Momentum. From what I've gathered the K545's and Momentums have the best sound quality while the Sony's excel in comfort. The V-moda's have been touted as one of the best headphones as well. Since I can only buy one pair, I'm looking to you guys to help me make my choice. 

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 38
Considering your liking for HD650 and some of your genre preferences (classical and vocal), Momentum is the natural choice.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 38
Honestly the k545 IMO is better than the momentum by a large margin. The momentum may have a more enjoyable male vocal balance but for overall presentation of the music the k545 bested the momentum in a lot of areas which used to be my previous fav portable hp. It sounds nothing like the hd650 though and the momentum sounds a lot more like the 650. The 650 is one of my favs. 

The thing is that the momentum is becoming bested by new comers. I would also have a look at the focal spirit classic or Nad Hp50 as well (which has become the new rave around here over the momentum).

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 38
NAD Viso HP50 is a great headphone I could definitely recommend over the momentums if portability is sacrificed a little. Theyre honestly still portable for sure tho

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 38
See, now that's the thing I'm struggling with. You guys have recommended three different headphones, all of which are good. I have those three added to my cart on Amazon earlier today. Now I just need to decide which pair.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 38
I think you can rule out the M-100 from your list there. It's too bass-heavy with big bloated boomy bass with a bit recessed mids, not really what one would like after getting used to the HD650 in my opinion.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 38
mikros90 from martin logan...90bucks on amazon

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 38
  I think you can rule out the M-100 from your list there. It's too bass-heavy with big bloated boomy bass with a bit recessed mids, not really what one would like after getting used to the HD650 in my opinion.

Thank you for that! I've eliminated it from the list. I'm now trying to choose from the three recommended ones mentioned above (NAD Viso HP50, Momentum, and K545).

mikros90 from martin logan...90bucks on amazon

Thanks for the recommendation but they don't seem to be what I'm looking for. I think I will pick one from the three mentioned above. :D

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 38
The momentum should also be kicked off. The newer cans coming out are surpassing it.

The Martin Logan Mikros 90 just too good. Muuuch better than the Momentum and KEF M500.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 38
The momentum should also be kicked off. The newer cans coming out are surpassing it.

The Martin Logan Mikros 90 just too good. Muuuch better than the Momentum and KEF M500.

sheesh another hp on my radar now.

but yeah if it were me and if I were picking my list would look like this coming from an hd650:

sennheiser momentum being bested easily now
focal spirit pro 
yamaha hph mt220 not portable nothing like the hd650
akg k545 way better than the momentum but a lot thinner and brighter sounding than the 650
philips l2 ?
m100 less sq than the momentum
Nad hp50 tyll's new fav hp even all across
Focal Spirit classic another good hp with graphs that look pretty good and reviews support its listening quality
sony mdr1 little bass
sony mdr 7520 if you don't mind a narrow soundstage then these are more detailed than the hd650 and leak a little but sonically is closer than a lot of them. 
b&w p7 too expensive
shure 1540 leaks too much
sennheiser hd 7 dj ?
"          "        hd 8 dj ?

the ones in bold I havent heard so from what I have read this is how i would choose:
Focal spirit classic made for casual listening 
sony mdr 7520 too narrow of a soundstage and leak a bit but great fit
NAD hp 50 looks funny to me on the head but I would give it a listen 
philips l2 maybe too bright for me coming from the hd650
spirit pro not tuned for casual listening and read that it is very analytical and less musical but some enjoy it like that
hd 7 dj great bass and more than the m100 they say but has good clarity and a great sea and isolation but long chord and may be too much bass for you
hd 8 dj same as the above with a little more bass even and a bit more detail but bass said to eat the lower mids a little.

since i am me i choose the hd 8 dj as my next portable because I love bass and lots of it and need little leakage for recording vocals here.

Coming from the hd650 my old fav as well I would choose the FOCAL SPIRIT CLASSIC

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 38
  Momentum is closest to HD650, if that's what you want.

I am highly considering this. I looked up GRIZZLYBEAR's recommendations and were going to go with either the HP50 or the FOCAL SPIRIT CLASSIC. However, the FOCALS are more than what I am willing to spend. The HP50's I heard can be uncomfortable. I've been told I have a big head so I'm afraid that those headphones would be uncomfortable for me. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back