Which of these amps should I consider ?
Sep 27, 2009 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

musicmaker

1000+ Head-Fier
Headphones: HD600, CD3000
Sources: Cambride Audio 640, Pico USB DAC, possibly a balanced source next

I currently have a KICAS Caliente which I LOVE but upgradetis has struck.

Which amp would you buy from list above ?

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 13
right. I am gravitating towards the Audio-Gd Roc. I'm told its a baby phoenix. I like the fact its a one box solution. Biggest differences are one ps vs the dual mono ps of Phoenix, no remote and digital volume display. Sonically I'm told its pretty close to a phoenix. Would love to hear from Roc owners and folks that have heard it.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 13
If you think your next step is probably going to be a balanced source, it doesn't seem to make too much sense to buy a single-ended amp - a balanced amp that has both balanced and unbalanced inputs is probably your best bet.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes that would be nice. The Roc provides the flexibility of balanced and unbalanced, which is a big plus for me. Price wise, its a bit less than what a SE beta seems to cost.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 13
how would a compass be a upgrade from a caliente?

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 13
jazznap, yep that's the one I'm considering but its $900 for SE. The Roc (Balanced) costs about $800 with a power cord. Can a SE Beta outperform a balanced Roc ? Hmm, not sure.

oqvist, Roc is the one I'm considering not the compass. I'm hoping the Roc will outperform the Caliente.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 13
Sheesh, still can't make up my mind. Beta22 SE with active ground or a Audio-gd Roc ?

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm going for the Beta22. 3 channel SE.

Also my favorite builder is not accepting orders for the next few months. This got me thinking. Maybe a good opportunity to pick up some electronics skills and DIY. I've done enough soldering and know the basics i think. I'm going to probably start with a mini to brush up and then proceed to building a beta22.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm getting an iPhone reasonably soon, and i just found out about a neat app on Cydia called Localis or something like that. I really want to use it, but I want my iPhone to be normal otherwise. Is it possible to jailbreak, download Localis or Loclis or something, save it in my applications in my itunes, and then sync it to my normal iphone after restoring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back