which music do you use to test headphones?
Jun 30, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #31 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a large variety of songs that I use. Here's 7 of those songs that I specifically make sure that I use:

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

can you tell us which ones? file expired

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool - Ticks & Leeches seems to be a really good testing song for me.

agree

Tool - Stinkfist, Aenima, Lateralus, Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #32 of 88
Whatever I am intimately familiar with. I tend to go (in order):
1.Meadows of Heaven by Nightwish (great choirs, lotsa metal guitars, though the recording quality is only _OK_)
2.Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd (the version on their live PULSE album, really rockin soundstage)
3.Love you to Death by Type O Negative (Bass response.
biggrin.gif
)
4.Be My Druidess by Type O Negative (Bass response x2)
Followed by either Opeth, Symphony X or whatever I feel like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #33 of 88
Future sound of london has lots of different kinds of very clear sounds with bass and everything else I can think of at the moment. They're all over the place. Try dead cities.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #34 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazaam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those familiar with Japanese music, I usually use LUNA SEA's "FEEL" or "GRAVITY" to test how well the headphones respond to rock music.

I've uploaded "FEEL" in FLAC here for anyone interested in sampling it. Beware, it may spur some of you into the world of Japanese rock
wink.gif

hi bro, the file has been expired......
Could I get a copy in another way??

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #35 of 88
Any of Johnny Cash’s American Recordings are a good bet for me. They’re impeccably recorded, and the music is timeless. You may as well enjoy yourself while you’re testing.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #36 of 88
Only recently got some decent headphones so only have my speakers to check how well they do. if i here a song which is difficult to reproduce i'll switch between them to see how they handle it.

don't want to derail a thread but there so much more detail to headphones, does anyone else keep discovering more to their favourite songs with every change in equipment or just the same old parts done differently?

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #37 of 88
Chesky Record's The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings will served as wonderful reference for vocals and acoustic bass.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #38 of 88
good to hear there are some other dreamtheater fans on headfi
smily_headphones1.gif

i tend to stay away from old recordings eg. cream, beatles, hendrix for testing out sound quality because the recordings dont really sound true to the music most of the time. they tend to sound muddy and lack bass as well as having random hisses and buzzes.

yeah as mentioned before dreamtheater is a good test. another recording that i like is paul gilbert's new album silence followed by a deafening roar. oystein sevag is also good for a whole different test.

since im a guitarist, i am very familiar with the tone of a guitar. also, acoustic guitars tend to sound more universal than electric guitars. because of this, i like to use solo acoustic guitar music like rodrigo y gabriella, one quiet night (pat metheny) or michael hedges.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #39 of 88
I have my own test CD for these purposes.
Consisting of tracks that I know well (Nils Lofgren, Massive Attack, Pink Floyd, ...), some test tracks (binaural, sweeps, ...).

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #40 of 88
Mids

Jack Johnson - Times like these
Norah Jones - Turn Me On

Highs

Vivaldi - La Primavera

Clarity

Habib Koité & Bamada - Mali Ba
Radiohead - Knives Out

Soundstage

Radiohead - Reckoner
Habib Koité & Bamada - Roma

Bass Impact

The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up
Health - Crimewave

Bass Deepness

Gorillaz - Kids With Guns
Radiohead - Lucky

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #41 of 88
all tracks from BEST AUDIOPHILE VOICE album series I and III...

special mention:

It would have made a difference
by ALLISON KRAUSS

Perhaps Love
by JHEENA LODWICK

Sylvia Hotel
by CHERYL WHEELER

and also MICHAEL BUBLE's self named album...

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Polysics - "Lookin' Lookin' Gaa" - the guitar blas has a nice contrast with synth

x2

I also like to use "Mayday!!!" by Flobots because of the Male/Female vocals, strings, and bass.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #44 of 88
When i got my headphones i was too excited to actually 'decide' what to play
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings, A Semi-Acoustic Evening

I always use tracks of this to test, it is such a good recording. Also Souvenirs by them is great.

And 6:00 by dream theater is a great track for testing, as others have mentioned.

Reviving an old thread here...
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back