Which MP3 hard disk player?
Oct 4, 2002 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
I am purchasing my first MP3 player and would love your advice. Sound quality is important to me.

I am considering the following players:

1. Rio Riot (20 GB)
2. Archos Jukebox 20
3. Nomad Jukebox III
4. iPod (20 GB)

I am leaning away from the iPod because of the $500 pricetag and the fact that I hate everything apple. No offense....

The Archos seems great cause of its ability to record directly from an external source. But I have heard some say the sound quality of the older versions was crap. What about the new version?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Gregg

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 42
well i dont know much about the mp3 players u have on the list, but for all that matters, i thought i should drop a line about the creative jukebox 3.

Now Creative Jukebox 3 seems to come a lot way form its prev version, specially with battry life n all add on features but it doesn't seem to have the magic when it comes to the quality of music. even the mp3 encoded at higest bitrates or for that matter even the Wav files seem to distort the cymbal. The cymbal which sounds almost chrisp n sort of good on a normal PC, is reduced to slured hissing. the rich guitar tones seemed to loose sort of hollw and lack the same richness. which is really really annoying if u listen to Rock. I understand messed up cymbal is a classic problem with mp3's but one would expect the Jukebox to do atleast as good as the normal pc+soundcard combination if not better.

Now if u dont really listen to Rock then may, just may be u might like it. but i couldn't putup with it and returned it with heavy heart (what do u expect after waiting for like months). i just hope there is somethign better out there!

best of listen,
TheDud

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 42
I couldn't disagree more regarding the Nomad Jukebox 3. In my opinion it is the best HD based MP3 player currently on the market - particularly from a sound quality point of view.

I regularly use the Etymotic headphones with the JBIII and I have to say that the combination is brilliant - the sound is wonderfully detailed, flat, loud and enjoyable.

The Archos players sadly sound nowhere near as good. I can't comment on the IPOD because I have not heard it - from what I have read on other forums the sound quality of the IPOD equals the Nomad JBIII

I hope this helps.

Oct 4, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 42
Well it depends on your needs.

If you want something to use on your desk/table, etc... then definately go with the Nomad Jukebox 3. Features, sound quality (it's a tad better than ipod's), and batter life are definite pluses with this player.

However, if you want something you can put in your pocket while walking from place to place, on the subway/bus, etc..., trips, etc... then get the ipod. The iPod was designed for one purpose, portability. You dont get that with NJ3, it's too big and heavy to put in your pocket.

So it's basically dependent on your needs. Features (and a lower price) vs Portability (and a better UI, and much cooler design).

Oct 4, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Well the iPod is not something I will consider. $500 is rediculous IMO.

So the Nomad may be the best bet. Although I was hoping for the Archos since it is small, but if the quality is much better in the nomad, they that's what I shoudl consider.

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 42
The new Archos player (Archos Multimedia) is small and sounds about 8 times better than the old versions which were awful. Unfortuanately, few others here have even touched the player because they were turned off by the older models. It isn't nearly as clean as the iPod (in appearance or UI) but it also does a lot more. It can palyback DivX files and display pictures on its color LCD. There are also attachments to download JPG files directly from SmartMedia and CompactFlash cards. They just released a camera module that lets you take pictures and video with it and they're planning on realeasing a module that lets you record video directly. The base unit can do everything the older units can.

Of course, with all the features, there are obvious drawbacks. The battery life is pretty weak and comes in at 8 hours for me. The huge feature list also makes for a confusing UI at first (it comes second nature to me now).

But for all its worth, the "wow" factore still hasn't worn out on me yet, and I don't get mauled in the streets when i pull it out as its rather non-descript, unlike the ipod. Its a little smaller than the older Archos Recorder which I regrettably owned.

Im not sure if you want just a basic mp3 player, but if you want any more info, i'll be glad to give it up.

check out www.archos.com

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 42
I totally agree with the Peddler’s NJB3 comments. I have the NJB3 40GB and I’ve found the sound quality to be outstanding. I regularly use either the ER4S or HD600, depending on my listening environment, with excellent results. I travel a lot and it is really nice to have both excellent sound and the recordings from 470+ CDs wherever I go!

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 42
Hmmm. Maybe I will pick up both the Archos and the Nomad III and give them both a few week audtion and go from there.

Thanks for the inputs folks. I appreciate it.

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 42
I suppose I'm lucky living in the UK as I got the wireless remote control and leather-type carry case with the Jukebox 3. The carry case really is excellent and when I strap it to my belt I honestly don't really know I'm carrying it. On the same belt I use a flipoutpda pouch for my Jornada 568 Pocket PC and a Motorla V50 flip phone. Very geeky I know but I really do need all these things on the walk to work - especially the Jukebox
tongue.gif

The unit is not particularly heavy and does not skip!!! This makes it an ideal portable for me - I must admit I'm looking at the IPOD with lust in my eyes but I'm more than happy with the NOMAD.

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 42
Peddler, here's what you need:

Batmans_Belt.jpg

wink.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 42
Before I has the Ipod I had the Archos 20 Recorder (still have it, got it fixed) and it sounded very, very good. Almost everyone who uses one is pretty much in agreement. Does the ipod sound better? that's almost unanimous. The NJB3? Maybe so, maybe not. Over at the forum at nomadness it's really a mixed bag about the sound. Of course this is all arbitrary (based on amps, headphones...)
Ghart, I'm very interested to you compare the NJB3 with the Recorder20. Please post your thoughts is you go ahead with this.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 42
let me second wmgoody...

i too had an Archos JB Recorder 20 before my iPod. read my review of a couple weeks ago. no comparison. iPod wins on all counts.

consider strongly the 10 gig model. it's slight slimmer than the others; comes with remote; costs $400.

10 gigs is a lot...when you consider that file transfer between pc or mac is speedy with firewire....so you can rotate 10 gigs around easily.

Oct 5, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 42
I'm sure the iPod does sound excellent. It should for $500 for the 20gig. I need 20 gigs cause of the amount of CD's I need to transfer. $500 is just too much for something like this. I will go ahead and try both the Recorder20 and the Nomad III and see what I think between the 2. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back