Which model MG Head do I have?
Nov 29, 2002 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a used one of these and am confused as to which model I have. I know it has a tube cage, detachable power cord and 2 headphone outputs. Can anybody tell me if I have the OTL or the DT. The front panel says MG Head DT. Thanks.

Nov 29, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

The front panel says MG Head DT

rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Don't fret if you have the non OTL version. I have the HD 600s and I listened to the new OTL and while there is more bass the midband is bloated and coloured...not a good trade-off.

The OTL version did sound better with the Grado RS1 - buit even here it's a bass response improvement. I didn't listen all that long - in 10 minutes I would say the OTL has the edge with the RS1.

There is a trade-off...the nice thing I guess with the OTL is that YOU get to switch and decide for yourself...BUT, you can get a good tube dealer to upgrade your DT to OTL...ask Joseph Lau how to do it. IMO it's not worth it. But if you have Grado like Cans you may want to...if you have 580-600 I wouldn't

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, my MG Head OTL says MG HeadDT on the front panel!

Does it mention OTL on the front panel?

Are the headphone outputs both 1/4" jacks or one 1/4" jack and a 1/8" jack?

Does it have a gain switch?

When you flip the switch, does it change things no matter which output jack your headphones are plugged into?

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 7
early mg head otl's still had the "DT" designation. they were also labeled incorrectly with meaningless labels over the otl and transformer outputs... as well as meaningless labels for the switch. (one more little quirk for ASL)...

but later models are correctly labeled "MG Head_OTL"... and the switches/jacks are all labeled correctly. there were also numerous other changes, which i mentioned in my previous threads about the mg head.

Nov 30, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks to everyone that responded to my post . I will check it over when UPS drops it off. I'm sure I will be able to identify it with all this additional information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back