Which makes would you think are best for these genres?
Apr 13, 2009 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
So I now put aside the portable headphone decision, and am currently choosing which full sized headphone might suit me. So could anyone list me a few makes (Or phones) that suit my listening preferences?
I listen to
J-pop (So vocals are a main thing here, would love for them to be either neutral or just a tiny bit forward)
House, electronic (Around 2nd dial of my IE8s would do)
Rock (Metal, indie)

Source: I am currently using an iPod touch 1G, but I will be buying a LOD and a nuforce icon mobile amp.
Budget: <£200
I would also love them to be comfy. I don't mind if it's open/closed or supra/circumaural since I have never owned any headphones before, only IEMs.
I am currently looking at the Denon AHD 2000's but I am not sure.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would you be using as a source, and will you be using an amp?

I am currently using an iPod touch 1G, but I will be buying a LOD and a nuforce icon mobile amp.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 12
The D2000 should be a fine choice provided that the Icon mobile matches it well.

The D2000's mids is a little bit on the recessed side and their treble can be a bit harsh and sibilant.

This impression is based on another portable amp - the iBasso D2 Boa.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a couple more questions. How much would you like to spend? Do you have a preference for open or closed, circumaural or supraural?

Oh damn, forgot to add
redface.gif

Umm <£200 and I've never owned any headphones, only IEMs but these will only be for home use so I guess it doesn't matter? And I don't really mind if they are circumaural or supra. Also, they must be comfy. I'll edit my first post.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Audio-Technica. They were made for vocals and for J-pop. They do very well with every other genre and have a low impedance, so easy on the go.

I don't know how much AT headphones are in the UK, but try to get an esw10. 200 pounds should go a long way toward one. Buy it used if you have to. You won't regret it.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Technica. They were made for vocals and for J-pop. They do very well with every other genre and have a low impedance, so easy on the go.

I don't know how much AT headphones are in the UK, but try to get an esw10. 200 pounds should go a long way toward one. Buy it used if you have to. You won't regret it.

I'm pretty sure only ESW9's are at that £200 area, £400 for ESW10 ish... And I might reconsider them again, but I just want some other alternatives. So at the moment, Denon AHD 2000 or ESW9 are my choices. I'm not sure about Grados if they would be comfortable to me (Aren't many shops that have demos of them where I live).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back