Which light EQ app?
Aug 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CTR640

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone,

through the past months I've learned a lot from here about EQ and which ones are the best and EQ seem the best way to tame treble or add more bass to certain headphones.
So I'm trying to tone down the painfull peaks from the "S" and "T" as it happens the most in voices so which light app is the best to use?
Currently using the APO app with Peace addon but it might be missing some frequencies? Like 5KHz for example.

-edit-
It's only for PC usage with Fiio K5 Pro

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey everyone,

through the past months I've learned a lot from here about EQ and which ones are the best and EQ seem the best way to tame treble or add more bass to certain headphones.
So I'm trying to tone down the painfull peaks from the "S" and "T" as it happens the most in voices so which light app is the best to use?
Currently using the APO app with Peace addon but it might be missing some frequencies? Like 5KHz for example.

Neutron Music Player so you can use a peak curve to cut the treble peaks then use a low shelf filter to boost everything below a given frequency instead of boosting and around on both sides of one bass frequency.

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Neutron Music Player so you can use a peak curve to cut the treble peaks then use a low shelf filter to boost everything below a given frequency instead of boosting and around on both sides of one bass frequency.
That one is for phones? Not sure but I might not have been very clear about usage so editted my OP.
It's for PC use with the K5 Pro.

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 9
That one is for phones? Not sure but I might not have been very clear about usage so editted my OP.
It's for PC use with the K5 Pro.

If you won't use a phone you're pretty much stuck with EQ APO unless you go with the professional paid apps. And I think the better ones aren't on PC, you're gonna need a Hackintosh.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 9
If you won't use a phone you're pretty much stuck with EQ APO unless you go with the professional paid apps. And I think the better ones aren't on PC, you're gonna need a Hackintosh.
Alright, fair enough. I turned the 8KHz down by -13 and the S is less painfull. So I guess I gonna stick with that.

I tried the Soundtheory Gullfos but the amount of time it takes to install and many packages made me cancel and uninstall it. Not sure if that's normal but needing 10 minutes is...over the top.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 9
What headphones are you using?
Amiron Home to reduce the "S" and for DT770 8k, 10k, 12.5k and 16k but for unknown reason the EQ for the DT770 have been removed despite I saved the presets.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Alright, fair enough. I turned the 8KHz down by -13 and the S is less painfull. So I guess I gonna stick with that.

I tried the Soundtheory Gullfos but the amount of time it takes to install and many packages made me cancel and uninstall it. Not sure if that's normal but needing 10 minutes is...over the top.
EQ APO allows to do most of what a listener might need. It's a pretty powerful tool in the hands of someone who learns to make us of it. I happen to have issues with it(probably one of the many other stuff I use is causing some conflicts for reasons) so I've got around to use more convoluted solution(mega EQ pun) with virtual cables and VST hosts. If 10mn doing something for install and config annoys you, I can't really recommend to try that. plus unless you make some script for it, by default you'll have to launch the VSThost at every boot, and some EQ VSTs might not even remember the last setting used. so it's great to test everything you can get your hand on, and also to get exactly THE EQ program you wanted. But IMO it's not as convenient as EQ APO as a system wide EQ solution that you can just setup once and then forget.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Amiron Home to reduce the "S" and for DT770 8k, 10k, 12.5k and 16k but for unknown reason the EQ for the DT770 have been removed despite I saved the presets.

Those center freq choices check out but if you're cutting them down that far (while still wanting to boost the bass) are you sure you just want to keep on relying on heavy EQ-ing instead of just getting other headphones that have a response closer to what you want?

I mean this all sounds like rom coms and teen movies (or TV shows) where they make the boring if not outright ugly person at school the prom king/queen via a makeover, at which point you just have to realize that Chris Griffin records himself dancing like Buffalo Bill and is not in fact "cool;" as opposed to, say, knowing there's a Rachel Leigh Cook hiding in those paint-blotched overalls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back