Which level attenuator is best for earphones?
Aug 23, 2008 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dcohen88

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have been using the level attenuator included with my Shure SE530 for five months now. It has been great to reduce the volume level on things like my Nintendo DS (which is otherwise far, far too loud at the lowest setting) and with my iPod to get rid of the background hiss by lowering the volume just a fraction.

The problem now is that I've been using it so much that it seems like the cable is fraying internally. The sound quality drops dramatically when the cable is bent at a certain angle; the angle being the one it so happens to take sometimes when resting in my pocket. This is probably due to it being bent in my pocket, but there is nowhere else i can put it. It either hangs out, and bends, or I would have to wear higher up on the cable but then it would also bend because it connects at a 90 degree angle and not in a straight line.

I need to buy a new level attenuator and would be looking for a durable one. I can get a new Shure one from Amazon for $6 plus whatever they charge to ship to Australia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Edit: It would need to be a variable one so I can adjust the volume coming through

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 4
Do you need a variable one?

If you do I don't know of a better option than the Shure.

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need a variable one?

If you do I don't know of a better option than the Shure.

Yeah I would want a variable one. Thanks for the advice.

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcohen88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I would want a variable one. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'd probably just go for the Shure. I haven't seen others, and the Shure is dead cheap. Cheaper even than fixed-resistance ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back