Which laptop would you recommend?
Nov 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ephemeral

New Head-Fier
Ok, this is quite vague.

But which laptops would you recommend for low-to-mid end budgets.

I could add memory and hard disk space by buying the components seperately later on. So im not massively concerned if it has just 1GB of memory.

How is the standard macbook (cheapest model) for audio output?

I can get the education discount if i go the mac route.

I would use the laptop to take to university, to do the course, so i guess weight/size might be an issue.

thanks

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 14
I use a Macbook for my main source on my A/V rig. It has great sound and video.

See ya
Steve

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Check what's available through your school's IT department, or bookstore, etc. They usually have good discounts for students and may provide on-site support as well.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 14
Seconded for student discounts, you can get really good deals.
But unless you REALLY need a mac, I wouldn't recommend it for low-mid budget. You can always get a PC laptop of equivalent specs at a cheaper price.
If you can't buy using student discounts, you should wait for a sale on laptops at one of the big box stores. Just make sure it has SPDIF out because integrated audio sucks. (BTW, the absolute cheapest models are usually Acers).

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 14
If you wait around the fatwallet and slickdeals forums, you could catch a really nice deal on a dell vostro 1400/1500. The vostro is almost identical to the inspiron tbh. My current vostro setup is a 1.66ghz c2d processor, 2gb ram, 8400gs video card, 15.4" monitor, 120gb hd. I paid $650. There's been deals in which these go for around $550 which is just a phenomenal price imo.

oh and the onboard sound out of the dell laptops is just garbage tbh. Investing in an external soundcard will likely be a necessity since we're on the head-fi forums
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Even the refurbished/student discounted Apples are aren't a good value. I used to own one, I know
redface.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 14
I recommend the Apple MacBook.
It has a bit-perfect optical output, so it makes a great source for audio.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephemeral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the standard macbook (cheapest model) for audio output?

I can get the education discount if i go the mac route.

I would use the laptop to take to university, to do the course, so i guess weight/size might be an issue.

You'll be fine with the Macbook, as the others said. Be sure to look at AppleCare within the given timeframe though. Notebooks of any make are much more prone to develop failures over time than desktops. My last iBook had a couple of issues over the years, and believe me, there is nothing like having the entire top-case including TFT replaced for free. Thank you extended warranty
biggrin.gif

If you are not after performance and can get over the lack of an optical out, you may want to look at the last two generations of 12" G4 Powerbooks. Not really fast from today's perspective, and the display could have been better, but pretty much the best truly portable computer Apple ever built up to this date. A real gem. Would run you roughly the same as a new Macbook though, with all the caveats of a used machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back