Which KSC75 should I keep, which one should I give away?
Jul 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fallen

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own both versions of the KSC75: the one WITHOUT the inline volume control, which I've been using and enjoying immensely, and an additional one WITH inline volume control, which is still sealed in the box.

I stockpiled one since I live in a country where good headphones, both high and low end, are largely unavailable.

However, since I love converting people to head-fi, I lent my much used KSC75 WITHOUT inline volume control to a friend and he loves it. So much so that I want to give him one of my pairs as a birthday present.

He is going to be using it straight out of an ipod shuffle.

I will be using mine with an amp, either the portable Visely HEA-2 or the non-portable Dared MP-5. My source will either be the Sansa Clip or my Macbook Pro.

I can give him the unopened one, since it'll be a better birthday present. This is the one with the inline control. Or I can just let him keep the one he has on him right now, my old one WITHOUT volume control.

I'm just trying to figure out who will make better use of which one. Do my amps make the one with inline volume control more usable/sound better since i can give the things more current? Or does it even matter? Unamped, is there a difference between the two?

On a selfish note, I was wondering since he currently doesn't have an amp, can I just keep the one that scales better, and give him the one that is less likely to improve with an amp?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Give him the one in the box. Like you said it's a better present. I don't think that the sound signature between the 2 are different. You already know you like the one without the inline volume control.

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd keep the one you are using and give him the new one. Plus the one you're using probably will sond better since it is already broken in.

Plus the one in the box is better as a gift. Instead of "Happy Birthday! Here's your gift" :pulls headphones out of ears:

EDIT: Stupid me!! The KSC75 is a clip on, not in ear. Sharing earwax wouldn't be a problem.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 8
KSC75's can be ordered cheap enough online anyway, and they wont break the bank.
Although i like the volume control , give him the one in the package.
You cant give a used cheap phone as a gift.
A used Grado RS1 would be different though
wink.gif

My birthday is in March
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 8
He's actually still in possession of the one I lent him, so it'll be more like:

"Gimme my headphones. Here are some new ones, happy birthday! Make sure to break them in."

Ok. That's the plan of attack. Thanks, people!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back