Which Japanese singers are still worth listening ?
Aug 3, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #46 of 92
I second Supercar. Not only are they original but they have some of the most creative music videos I've ever seen period.

For happy music I really like Yaida Hitomi. I love her voice and the music is just fresh! Another girl voice I adore is Tommy Feb 6 (The brilliant Green). For the hardcore emotional tramatic voice, I like fra-foa. I'll post 3 videos up from my site. They're 12 megs each (divx 5.11) and the host is fast so
smily_headphones1.gif
stream and enjoy!

Yaida Hitomi - Ring my Bell

The Brilliant Green - The Angel Song

Fra Foa - aojiroi tsuki

Supercar - Be

Supercar - White Surf style 5

Yaida Hitomi - Chain

Pru - Kae

edit: I found more stuff so I just posted them up. BTW Pru - Kae isn't Japanese but I put it there cause its great!
wink.gif

I also second spitz (new album rules), Do as Infinity (another great band)

Should also check out Polysics and Ken Ishii
biggrin.gif

Well I'm also a huge jrock fan myself and listen to bands like Luna Sea and X japan but you probably know all of them.
3000smile.gif

If ya need something check me out on soulseek under this same name
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #49 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterproofPaper
FictionJunction Yuuka - Hitomi no KakeraNaruto
Cool Joke - Undo

dj_mocok:
you think you can send me those songs and other songs you recommend or host them somewhere?

I have the mp3s... but dont know how to host/post them though. if you let me know how, i will post them.

Aug 4, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiez
Err, no one here listens to Ken Hirai?
He's one of the best singers in the world. And I do think he write most of his songs too.

Oh, Southern All Stars - Manatsu no kajitsu remains my favourite ballad ever despite having no clue what they are singing about
redface.gif

This is the quote from my initial post, and i mentioned Ken Hirai.

"Gone are the days of good old Toshinobu Kubota, Utada Hikaru's older songs, etc...
Even Hirai Ken, one of my favourite singers, dont really release songs as nice as his previous ones anymore... (rakuen , aoi tori, why, etc)
Are Japanese songs getting worse and worse, or is it just me ? (getting old?)"

And yes, I think Ken Hirai is up there, one of the best singers in Japan. His voice is just so soothing...

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #52 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiez
Err, no one here listens to Ken Hirai?

I like him, but he's not giving me pleasant surprises, like when "Lakuen" or "Why" came out.** I don't see why he needs to sing "don't know why," either... if old Ken's Bar sessions were all about his own catalog and interesting picks from other artists, couldn't he have put that on CD?

Oh, if you've heard the stripped down jazz version of "Miracles" from the CD single... I love that. The original is really overproduced in a bad boring way.

Like pandasonic, I keep going back to old UA and bird CDs... I have a premonition that new UA material is a can of worms, and bird... I really didn't enjoy "double chance." But the old ones are great. "Ametora" is very close to pure genius
biggrin.gif

The only Japanese artist I'm still following is Sakura. I've a premonition that she's too laid back/loose/wishy-washy for the crowd here, but she's gone from Philly R&B to surf-y stuff that reminds me of Donovan Frankenreiter, and I still connect with the music.

And I really like what I've heard of new Utada songs. I'll take that over English Puffy/Dreams Come True/Toshi Kubota/Seiko (Matsuda) songs anyday
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

** Spelled "lakuen" on the CD single cover probably because it looks nicer
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Hi there,

What do you guys think of Meiko Kaji ? I'm totally new to the Japanese (silly?) pop scene, but there's one track from her in Kill Bill vol.1 that i like.
Do you think it's worth checking more of her songs or Tarantino already took the best?

Thanks.

No, you are totally misunderstanding. Meiko Kaji is an actress who starred in many Japanese action/violent movies back in 70's. (yeah, like Pam Grier) Some scenes from Kill Bill vol.1 is an homage to her movies, and the song at the end roll is also from the soundtrack of them. It's Tarantino's salute to her.

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #59 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
OOOH yeah! Thanks Takashi.

So it's not her who sing the song?

I have seen a "best of" CD about Meiko Kaji...so it would be tracks from her movies, right?

Thanks again.
600smile.gif

Sorry, I was not clear. It's her singing the song, but the song is from 70's movie and she is not quite singing any more. The CD should be a good one if you like her, even though they are old songs.

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #60 of 92
How about m-flo? Lisa has got to be one of the best female singers in Japan. Their lyrics are very creative and have nice mix of Japanese and English. I haven't heard anyone who can use both Japanese and English as well as Verbal, the rapper,. I was very worried when I heard that Lisa has gone solo but they used it to their advantag by featuring different artist on all of their new songs. Very impressive. Their new album "Astromantic" have variety of types of music, from Jazz to Trance to Pop to Hip-Hop. Please check them out if you haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back