Which is the best portable option: MD or MP3?
Aug 15, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 39
The NV109M features a digital interface to the player, but only for 'download' - not for uploads. i.e. it's the same thing as having an external NetMD unit.

The paid-for version of musicmatch is rather decent - besides, I have proper computers as well as the ghetto PC's I need for work, so I can use iTunes.

OpenMG is limited to LP2 as the highest quality, rendering any MD'ers die-hard apologist arguments moot. Plus, it's so badly written that it requires a monster of a PC to even begin to compete with other MP3 devices. The iPod leaves it in the dust.

As for the wheel, you obviously haven't used the ipod, as opposed to the laughable control 'puck'(n707) / 'bar'+ "jog wheel" (n1).

I swear if Sony made a marital aid, they'd put a jog wheel on it.

Aug 15, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by hokiefritz

Huh? You lost me Fred. Sure, if the HD dies your player won't work. Send it in or get a replacement, hook it up and hit the sync button or send directories of files. You can walk away and all of your music will be transferred to the iPod in less than 5 minutes.

rabidly,

hokiefritz

You assume all music is on hard drive of main computer. Not necessarily so. You may have an older computer and don't have room on hard drives. Or the music may have been loaded from a friends computer.

Then there is the worst case scenario, iPod and Harddrive both dead, all music gone.

I am aware of syncing
smily_headphones1.gif
. My NJB3 has that (although their firmware is pretty crummy right now, much less functionality than the NJB1).

I have no problem backing up my files to computer, as I stuck a 60gb drive with IDE card into my system for backups (got burned by an HP Colorado drive not working after major disk failure).
But If I had half a brain (I only have 1/6 one now), I would put my 11gb of music onto CDROM.

There is a lot of hype about the iPod. There used to be a lot of hype about the eDigital Treo 10 before it came out. When it did come out it's popularity on the net talk dwindled. I love my Treo 10. It rocks big time with Koss Sportapros or KSC35's. It's small, I like the interface, and it's CHEAP.

Face it guys (and gals), you won't be able to hype me up about Ipod. I am a PJB100 fan (wish I had one).

Aug 15, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
As for the wheel, you obviously haven't used the ipod, as opposed to the laughable control 'puck'(n707) / 'bar'+ "jog wheel" (n1).

i used it. i can see why people like it, but i still feel like a retard pointing at the little white box with my finger and swirling it around.

man, at this point i could really really easily see an ipod 20gb and a pair of er6's on their way to me soon.. (oh and one of those adaptec duoconnect firewire/usb2 cards)

Aug 15, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
There is a lot of hype about the iPod. There used to be a lot of hype about the eDigital Treo 10 before it came out. When it did come out it's popularity on the net talk dwindled.

The difference is that when the iPod came out, it's popularity increased
wink.gif
It's been the best selling MP3 player on the market since the day it was released.

Aug 16, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

fredpd wrote: Then there is the worst case scenario, iPod and Harddrive both dead, all music gone.

Well, what if your house burns down and takes your MD collection with it?

Ok, I'm being stupid but I think it's safe to assume that if you went to the trouble of ripping CDs or copying MP3s form another source that you would keep them on your hard drive. There are plenty of solutions to back up data on your PC if you're worried about losing your collection of music.

I'm certainly not trying to convince someone to jump ship for the iPod if they're currently happy with the devices they're using now. The battery issue (not user replaceable, reduced battery life over time) is a concern for me and I can totally appreciate someone having apprehension about the product because of this. I think MD is great and I still use mine. But for MP3 players, there isn't a product on the market I have seen that has interested me at all except for the iPod.

Cheers!

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 39
I and a friend was discussing this very subject today. He's in the same boat as me - he does quite a lot of recording on MD, but hates MD - or rather he hates the stuff you have to buy/do to transfer digital data on MD. We lamented the fact that none the recording MP3 players are quite there.

Apple looks like the only major company who would would be willing to stick two fingers up to SDMI and release a recording version which works the way that you'd expect a device like this to work.

Archos already have the unit, and it's got the feature set that we want, but as a product - in terms of design, execution, reliability etc - it sucks. And the Nomad is too big. So here's hoping Apple gets a recording iPod out there soon.

Only then can we completely fairly compare iPod and MD - and truly, undeniably say "MD is dead as a dodo" (except for the third world and broke students of course).

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

Apple looks like the only major company who would would be willing to stick two fingers up to SDMI and release a recording version which works the way that you'd expect a device like this to work.

I'm curious why you think Apple -- out of all the contenders -- would be the ones to strick two fingers up (or one finger here in the states) to SDMI, considering the annoying restrictions on the present Ipods. Archos, and I think Creative to an extent, has done so already. I think it's more likely that Archos or Creative will put out a better product, rather than Apple thumbing SDMI.

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #39 of 39
Well - the current 'annoying restrictions' don't allow you to copy music between PC's easily. It can be bypassed relatively simply.

I don't have a problem if similar restrictions were placed on 'uploads' of recorded material. If you read the draconian restrictions placed on this type of use by SDMI however, you'll probably see what I mean by Apple being in the best position to do so.

Archos already has the product in terms of feature set, as I said - but the execution sucks. And if their next-generation player is anything to judge the Archos Recorder V2.0 with, it'll still be somewhat short of a player/recorder that you'd pick up and go "Whoa! I want to use this!" I would like to see companies like Archos succeed, because their products fundamentally do exactly what we want - but I'm not sure they have the R&D/design expertiese to carry it off properly, even on the third try.

And Creative - for some reason, even when Creative try and be classy their products always look a little tacky.

Anyway, I do hope these companies succeed too. More choice for unrestricted movement of music up and down from the PC, the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back