Which is better for Classical Music GS1000, RS1 or K701???
Feb 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is why i put "exciting" in quotation marks. To my ears, they only consist of bass and treble, the mids are completely lost. Pointing only towards the effects... like cheap car-hifi on a high level. To my ears they sound completely wrong - don't know how to describe it.

Wow. Quite a statement. To each their own of course. I've been to a number of classical performances - mostly opera - and to my ears, the GS1000s get close to sounding "true" and - as a bonus - without uber high-end sources. I am going to have to assume that they will scale very nicely along with high-end kit. At the time of my loan I didn't have my higher end source sussed out and gave them a go on my iMod mated with my Pico. I was floored from what I was hearing. (Though Grados do tend to mate well with the Pico I have found. I love how my RS-1s sound through the little wonder.
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Grado prices but I'm not seeing the GS1000s or am I just being blind?
redface.gif

They were on there yesterday for $800, but they took them off the website today.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 37
I love the K-702 and the RS-1, and I think the RS-1 is the best set to compliment the 702. If I was a novice audiophile I could easily buy both for better diversity, for the same price of the GS 1000 and be thoroughly satisfied.

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Quite a statement. To each their own of course. I've been to a number of classical performances - mostly opera - and to my ears, the GS1000s get close to sounding "true" and - as a bonus - without uber high-end sources. I am going to have to assume that they will scale very nicely along with high-end kit. At the time of my loan I didn't have my higher end source sussed out and gave them a go on my iMod mated with my Pico. I was floored from what I was hearing. (Though Grados do tend to mate well with the Pico I have found. I love how my RS-1s sound through the little wonder.
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Don't forget about which price range we are talking about. Of course, they sound great, and I have to admit I liked their signature. But it was all to "beautiful", not simply the way the original would have sounded - which makes them the wrong phone for classical music (in my ears). But I have the same problem wioth the K701, as they are also making more room than there really is, but at least they are not neglecting the mids like the GS1000, although they are clearly inferior in technical terms.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #35 of 37
*passing out*

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #36 of 37
I had a listen to RS-2, RS-1, and MS-Pro before finally getting the MS-Pro. The RS-1 is definitely more a rock can, and NOT a classical can.. Their presentation, soundstage is really not suited for classical.

I think a lot of people on this board mistake the MS-Pro as similar to the RS-1. In reality, the RS-2 is more similar to the MS-Pro.

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 37
To my ears, RS1 is definitely a fantastic rock can but not for classical. I was rather disappointed with RS1 since I listen to many classical music until I tried Dave Matthew Band "Crash" album last night and I was literally blown away with the sound impact coming out of RS1.

At the time, I was using Rockhopper M3 with Adcom GDA600 as source DAC. So I agree with many who have already said about RS1 is not good for classical genre but great for rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back