Which is better Eastern Electric MiniMax Dac or Audio-gd dac-19?
Jul 5, 2010 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tz1963

New Head-Fier
Hi,

The Eastern Electric Dac (with the ESS 9018 Sabre dac) and the Audio-gd dac-19 are about the same price, which one is better?

I will be using it with M2Tech Hiface.

Thanks,

T.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Can you be more descriptive? ie: which amp/speaker/can set using?

I have the audio gd dac3 and an oppo 83 se (ESS 9018) dac.  Used to love the sound from the Oppo but after listening to the dac3 into the setup, the sound is much more musical and relaxing.  That said, rock and trance still kick good though, abiet with less energy but much more truthful to the track, which makes it more pleasing to listen for hours.. YFMV..

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Go to Stereomojo and read their article. Three people reviewed it and they all purchased the unit. Based on that I purchased one and have it connected in my hi-end system. It is incredible. Sits between a MOSCODE402AU AMP and a CD Droplet from Consonance.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 8
I originally looking to upgrade my DAC to handle high resolution files (24/192) via USB.  But due to limited choice, I lower my requirement to 24/96, and just placed an order on Audio-gd NFB-3. 

The Eastern Electric MiniMax can only take 16/48 through USB, so, I didn't consider it.  But I just learn that the MK II is coming which will do 24/192 via USB!!  Now, I am not sure if I should keep my Audio-GD order or wait.

I found this old thread, anyone has both and can give some comments on how they compare? 

My system consist of
A Acer netbook using Foobar, USB out.
Maverick Audio D1 DAC (to be replace)
PrimaLuna Prologue Three tube preamp
Cary SE-1 300B tube amplifier
Zu Omen Definition speakers

I found the review from Digital Audio.  The reviewer said the EE is more dynamic, expansive soundstage, but it can be edgy if pair with wrong gear.  It is better to pair with tube amp.  The Audio-GD is more smooth and easy to listen.  But I don't know if I can take his words.  When I read the EE review, it sounds like it is better than Audio-GD, but when I read the Audio-GD review, it sounds like it is better than EE.  The EE has a 5 star rating, but the NFB-2 get the award. 

you can find the reviews below:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/175-eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/177-audio-gd-nfb-2-dac-19-series

I use a tube amp, but I also like more relax sound ... I really hope the NFB-3 will be suitable for me. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 8
I decided to go with NFB-2 as I prefer a more relax sound and do not want to be bothered with those annoying frequency (or edginess) caused by less than stellar recording. 

Anyway, more than 90% recording are just normal recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back