which is a good sound card that has optical and can be used with a tablet pc ( lenovo miix 2 )
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
hello guys

I am trying to find a good way to get sound out of my win 8.1 tablet ( lenovo miix 2 ) optically for my car system setup, so I thought a good idea is to buy a sound card or dac that has optical and then connect that optically to my dsp processor in my car

what do u suggest for me to buy as the sound coming out of the tablet alone in my car through the aux connected to my car stereo is bad

its important that it can be imported through usb from a windows 8.1 tablet

also I like warm sound signature, with wide stage and nice sound all in all if that even matters in mentioning

budget is upto 700 USD

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 4

I am trying to find a good way to get sound out of my win 8.1 tablet ( lenovo miix 2 ) optically for my car system setup, so I thought a good idea is to buy a sound card or dac that has optical and then connect that optically to my dsp processor in my car
what do u suggest for me to buy as the sound coming out of the tablet alone in my car through the aux connected to my car stereo is bad
its important that it can be imported through usb from a windows 8.1 tablet
also I like warm sound signature, with wide stage and nice sound all in all if that even matters in mentioning
budget is upto 700 USD

So your trying to get audio files from your Win 8.1 tablet thru the tablet's USB output, to your car's sound system, which has an optical input?
So it sounds like you need a USB to optical "converter", not a DAC.

I believe the Creative Labs Surround Omni 5.1.USB sound card ($80) can function like a USB to optical converter.
There is also the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40), which can also function like a USB to optical converter.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 4

So your trying to get audio files from your Win 8.1 tablet thru the tablet's USB output, to your car's sound system, which has an optical input?
So it sounds like you need a USB to optical "converter", not a DAC.

I believe the Creative Labs Surround Omni 5.1.USB sound card ($80) can function like a USB to optical converter.
There is also the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40), which can also function like a USB to optical converter.

i don't know whats best to use a dac that will give me better audio quality out of my tablet that then will feed into my  car dsp, or just use usb to optical converter ?

all I know is that the sound card in tablets pc sucks big time so I thought of having a dac to improve the sound quality out of the tablet before it gets processed by my car dsp

is that a wrong way to do it and the right way is to just use a usb to optical converter

also my question will i be able to maintain 24bit/192 flac files quality with those mentioned above or will they be down sampled

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 4
  i don't know whats best to use a dac that will give me better audio quality out of my tablet that then will feed into my  car dsp, or just use usb to optical converter ?
all I know is that the sound card in tablets pc sucks big time so I thought of having a DAC to improve the sound quality out of the tablet before it gets processed by my car dsp
is that a wrong way to do it and the right way is to just use a usb to optical converter
also my question will i be able to maintain 24bit/192 flac files quality with those mentioned above or will they be down sampled

If your feeding a digital audio signal to the car stereo's S/PDIF optical input, you would not be using a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
Once an audio signal goes thru a DAC chip, which converters the audio signal to analog, that analog signal can no longer go thru a digital cable/connection (USB, optical, coaxial)
The only DAC chip that can be used is the one built into the car stereo, unless you can figure out how to feed an analog audio signal to the card stereo.

The Asus Xonar U3 is only $40 and there might even be a $10 mail in rebate this month on it.
You can feed it using USB and output thru it's S/PDIF optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back