Which is a better amp to pair with Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo? Alo Audio RX MK 3 or RSA SR-71B?
Jul 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

David Copper

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I need your opinion.
Which is the better amp to pair with Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo? Alo Audio RX MK 3 or RSA SR-71B?
I listen to pop, dance, trance, rock & new wave. I love punchy bass with good separation. I also prefer good mid & high with wide soundstage.
Thanks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Same question for me too! RX MK3, MK2 or RSA SR71

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 10
i had the sr71b used with the cypher labs solo,and i sold the sr71b because of the poor synergy
between these to pieces. i tried different cables to improve the sound,but did not work for me.
recently i bought the alo rx mk3 and it sounds fantastic when paired with the cypher solo.
the solo and rx3 were tuned and dialed in for each other.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Based on your criteria, the MKIII sounds like a solid pick. It is very powerful and provides a wide soundstage, but it's main criticism is that it is a bit cold and analytical.

Echoing shigzeo, will you be using SE or Balanced? These two amps perform much better in balanced.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Based on your criteria, the MKIII sounds like a solid pick. It is very powerful and provides a wide soundstage, but it's main criticism is that it is a bit cold and analytical.

Echoing shigzeo, will you be using SE or Balanced? These two amps perform much better in balanced.

i do not find the mk3b cold and analytical,especially with my jh-13 iems and sennheiser hd650(both in balanced mode) i wonder if people who are hearing cold and analytical sound are also using silver interconnects and silver headphone cables??
   when i had the sr71b, i used it with a devilsound dac and ipad and really liked the synergy and sound alot!!
the solo/rxmk3 ipod combo is much more portable and sounds better

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 10
I actually find the synergy of the CLAS and SR7-B to be spot on. A very balanced sound delivering detail, punch, drive and emotion. You will hear a great many people say this amp is dark, in fact I was with a fellow headfier on Saturday who has made this comments before. He listened to my rig together with LCD2's and my Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX's.

He could not understand why the amp did not sound dark, just clear and musically very involving. My theory is that a great many here review product without having that product for a great deal of time. I have had my amp now in use for over a thousand hours and I think that is the thing. I found this amp really came on song around the 500 hour mark and levelled off at around 700 hours.

I compared whilst at the meet to the Tube Schiit amp (can't remember it's name) and that amp, which was a product display amp with a lot of hours was not in the same league as the SR71-B, it was harsh, un-musical and just plain boring. Also, to note. The other piece of trot handed out here, that the blackbird is not as good from the single ended output. All this listening was done from that "poorer" output!

Also, don't confuse a brighter more trebly amp with clarity, it is just more tiring over longer listening periods. There is no detail lost with the blackbird, no rolled off high's just a balanced, well thought out mature sound that one can listen to for literally hours on end with no fatigue.

The difference between balanced and single ended output is not as huge as people make out here and is very dependent on what headphones your listening to. IEM's or easy to drive full sized the difference is small or non existent in my experience. Also, it will drive very well the likes of the HE-500 and make a good job of the HE-6 though it has to be said they do sound better with a more powerful amp, but out of the blackbird the sound would make you happy.

Remember one of the things of this forum that really bugs me is that anything over six months old is old hat and suddenly sounds terrible compared to the new stuff, the same reviewers six months previous raving about the old stuff. Just go through the so called "golden" reviewers here and see what I mean.

I have found one of the few who does not do this but sadly no longer reviews portable amps is skylab

Now, take my thoughts and understand they are just my perspective but I encourage you to read others and come to a balanced choice. This stuff is highly personal remember. Also, something that measures well does not necessarily mean it will sound good!

The other thing to remember when taking peoples opinions here is what they listen to, what bit rates and what their hearing is like. You will find in my profile the type of music i listen to and below the equipment I use. I just had my hearing checked so will add that to my signature. I say this as someone may say the treble is rolled off but can't hear past 17KHZ. To my knowledge the only other person who states their hearing capability here and is another of whom I trust a great deal is James444 from Vienna.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Indeed, the CLAS has such a wonderful analogue and digital output section that any amp you pair with it will get the added benefit of even better performance. I think it's just a size consideration: the SR71B isn't the same size as the CLAS while the RX3 is. both are very good amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back