Which Ipod LOD would you get?
Jun 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking about taking the plunge with a ipod classic since my iaudio M3 is irritating me now too much without gapless.

Was wondering what LOD to get?
ALO cryoDock (85bucks)
ALO bling blin (55)
Qables performance 6" LOD (32EUR)

Something else?

Are there cables that integrate charging as well as LOD?

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Yes, PM Head-Fi member stevenkelby. His docks are of similar, if not better, quality than any of the "big name" cable companies, and he is able to integrate a mini USB port in the dock for charging purposes while you listen though the LOD at the same time.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, PM Head-Fi member stevenkelby. His docks are of similar, if not better, quality than any of the "big name" cable companies, and he is able to integrate a mini USB port in the dock for charging purposes while you listen though the LOD at the same time.

S2 Audio Good and Cheap

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Indeed. Buying premade LODs is throwing money away, in my opinion. When you get someone to make one for you, you can have it made to your exact specifications.

I've used stevenkelby twice before and his work is exceptional (and his prices are good), so I personally recommend him.

Other known builders are TURBO (slightly more expensive and essentially premade, rather than made to spec), barqy and warrior05 among some others. Punnisher also makes very, very small, low profile LODs. I was about to get one of those before I realised that portable amps are a waste of money and effort. :p

As was said above, stevenkelby can integrate a USB charging port into the LOD without adding extra bulk.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 10
I would get an ALO cable.
The '5 Wire Super Bling Bling' cable looks really nice imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks guys - Someone already sent me a good offer via pm too after i looked around - It's been a while since I was active on here and I had started to forget how good the community is here.

Does integrating the charging function change performance at all for the worse? I simply like the ease of having LOD and charging which i get from my current iaudio dock that came with the unit.

I can't agree though on the amp being a waste of money - with UM2s I need my xin reference amp or there's just too much hiss with my current iaudio M3. In fact, i know people raved about the M3 initially but it is noisy with any high level iem, especially via the remote. Then again, i got my xin reference very very cheaply as a donation from someone who had two.

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 10
lucky on that xin reference! nice!
biggrin.gif

If you are using a portable amp, and a non-imod ipod, i would just get the sik ram din. I think it sounds great, and its cheap, and the cable is flexible and super durable. i think the ALO cables are crazy way to over the top expensive, and offer more peace of mind, then anything else (so you can rest assured that the signal isn't being destroyed by the cable) youve got to have good components everywhere else, and not to mention the headphone cable itself, which is probably questionable.

although if you can find a member to make you a nice one for cheap-ish, that would also be a great way to go. i would contact s2. but like i said, the sik ram din sounds fine to me...

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm pretty new on here and just recently bought a Qables Silvercab LOD. I'm very satisfied with it but looking back on it I should have gone the DIY route. I would have save some money and had the satisfaction of knowing that it was built the way I wanted it.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Does anyone know if the 6th gen (160GB classic) can charge via these LODs from barqy, s2 (warrior05) and stevenkelby?

cheeky rhythm - I see you have a reference too - no envy from you please!! I still have a supermacro LE on order from over a year ago lol.

yes, I think that all ALO BUT the bling bling are way too expensive.
Thing is I don't make enough cables to warrant getting a good soldering iron, the wire cutter and stripper, silver audio solder or whatever you use and then buy the cable, dock and interconnet seperately. Not to mention all the cable i would ruin lol.

Getting a $60 cable is still cheaper than me going DIY - audio cable is expensive here as are all the tools
frown.gif

Well, I've sent PMS to warrior, and kelby so should get responses soon. Hopefully they will know if te 6Gs can be charged from Dock. Barqy doesn't think the 16pin docks will charge the classic as it doesn't work on a touch
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've PM'd Steven, and am waiting for a response. That is the exact setup I'm looking for. I don't know yet how it needs to be terminated, as I haven't decided on an amp yet.

If Steven is unable to create a cable, what is the next best alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back