Which IEMs should I get? Options
Jun 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

snoshreddax21

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need some help making a decision on IEMs.

I recently decided to pull the trigger and use the last bit of my Best Buy employee discount before I put in my two weeks resignation to buy some decent IEMs for college.

Impedance and ease of driving are going to be a pretty big factor in this, because I'll be using these with my phone or iPod WITHOUT an amp 90% of the time while running or walking on campus. Please don't take this the wrong way as I am in no way trying to be rude, but I can assure you you will not be able to convince me to use an amp for these. I'll be using an amp in the dorm room all the time with my big headphones, but for these ones I want the best-sounding pair of IEMs I can get that will sound just as good when I plug them straight into my iPod.

Here's what I'm looking for in order of priority: 1. sound quality, 2. comfort, 3. isolation. I picked up a few pairs and plan on returning all but my favorite. Give me your opinions of each and suggestions of what else I should try before my 15 day return policy is up on all the pairs.

Here's what I'm testing now and my initial opinions. Keep in mind these have absolutely no burn-in yet, so that may or may not change in the next couple of days.

1. Bose IE2: Incredibly comfortable but no isolation. I actually love the "stayhear" tips, after messing with them a bit they're extremely comfortable and stay in if you're moving around a lot. Not a fan of the sound quality. Sounds extremely colored and muddy, no detail at all in the treble or mid-range and bass is not crisp and tight. I've heard these need significant burn-in before they start to sound decent, so give me your opinions on that.

2. Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE600: Comfortable, good isolation. I can't make up my mind on the sound quality. I feel like the detail is there in the bass, mids, treble but I just don't know if I love the sound signature. It feels a bit dead compared to some of the others.

3. HiFiMan RE-262: I had these previously before this endeavor, these are the ones I'm hoping to replace. I hate the sound signature of these. Way too analytical for my taste, the treble sounds great but the mids are a bit lacking and almost no bass whatsover, even with equalization. They don't sound full to me. Good isolation but uncomfortable over long listening periods.

4. Klipsch Image X10: Extremely comfortable, great isolation. I also have yet to make up my mind on the sound of these ones, but I think it's growing on me. I hear a lot of bass and low mids which surprises me a bit due to the BA as opposed to a dynamic driver. The soundscape seems a bit narrow to me and I have been noticing a bit of sibilance that's starting to annoy me a bit.

5. Sennheiser IE80: Comfortable enough, good isolation. I've found I actually prefer to wear these down rather than over-the-ear. I LOVE HOW THESE SOUND. They're my absolute favorite sounding out of all the ones I've tested. The soundscape is absolutely gigantic, everything is crystal clear from splash cymbals all the way down to the lowest sub bass notes. They're a bit colored from what I can tell, but these are the only warm-sounding ones I've tested where I don't think it's overdone, they sound balanced to me. The biggest con for me is the price on these. With my employee discount these still came out to around $300. If I can find something I like almost as much for less money I'd be satisfied, considering I'm not too crazy about dropping $300 on a pair of IEM's (more than I spent for my huge circumaural headphones).

What are your opinions on all of the ones I mentioned above? Have any suggestions? What about headphones that have a similar sound signature to the IE80s? I'm open to suggestions and I'd really love to get the best headphones I can for my money's worth.

Also, how long would you recommend for a significant burn-in duration for all these before I make my final decision?

Please keep it within reason for price, I'm not really interested in spending $1000 on a pair of IEMs for college. I do get a pretty nice discount on headphones through Best Buy, though.

Thanks again for the help guys. Appreciate all input and suggestions.

- K

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 5
It"s better if you provide the whole list of IEMs available in Bustbuy under your price range because these are only few IEMs, there must be more IEMs are for sale. The GR07 are amazing for the price and they sound superb( same or better than IE80) with same soundsignature as IE80 with great punchy bass, highly detailed mids, highs and realy wide open soundstage and overall crisp clear sounding for lot less price tag. UE TF10Pro, Westone 3 are also amazing for the price and they are well built.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 5
It"s better if you provide the whole list of IEMs available in Bustbuy under your price range because these are only few IEMs, there must be more IEMs are for sale. The GR07 are amazing for the price and they sound superb( same or better than IE80) with same soundsignature as IE80 with great punchy bass, highly detailed mids, highs and realy wide open soundstage and overall crisp clear sounding for lot less price tag. UE TF10Pro, Westone 3 are also amazing for the price and they are well built.

I usually go to bestbuy.com and sort by price from high to low. Also, click in 'show best buy items only' on the left side, that will eliminate any third party sellers. They're all within my price range, the ie80 is the most expensive pair we sell at $450 and they came to $300 with my discount.

I don't believe we carry the gr07. I'm not sure how everyone here feels about their customer service, but I would rather go with a brand more familiar to me than vsonic just for the purpose of any warranty issues. But if the gr07 really do sound as good as you say, I'll try them out from amazon or something because they'd still come out cheaper than I paid for the ie80.

How does anybody feel about the monster turbine pro gold? Do they sound even remotely similar to the ie80? I've heard good things about those too.

I'd love it if you guys could give me a few more suggestions to try out, I'd love to get a feel for what else I would like. If they're not sold at best buy that's fine, just keep it under $300.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back