Which IEMs for Ipod nano
May 4, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 20
The UE10's, they are customs and cost $1000.

icon10.gif

GIve us your budget and what music you listen to, maybe we can help you better.

May 4, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 20
I started with Shure E3c's and a Nano. I was happy. Then I found this forum and started reripping and using higher bitrate music files, then I wasn't so happy, so I bought a pocket dock, a decent mini to mini cord, and a tiny headphone amp (Xin Super Micro III). This sounded much better, but I wasn't happy with the bass response with the E3c's anymore.

Then I bought Shure E4c's and now I am very happy again, until that dread day comes when I will have the opportunity to listen to the E500's. Then, I fear, my E4c's will no longer make me happy.

Seriously, the E4c's sound very good coming straight out of the Nano, particularly if you put an apple remote radio in-line between the Nano and the IEM cord. They do benefit significantly from an amp, but do not absolutely need one.

I think the E4c's are a good value. They are so much better than the E3c's that I do not think the E3c's are worth what they cost. I don't have experience with any other IEM's.

May 4, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 20
My personal choice, in contrast to Comfycan, is to have relative bliss with Nano/Xin Supermini w/Solidtube opamp and using the crossfeed jumper/Ety ER-6i ("socially use Shure Softflex tips, noise - use Comfy foamies). It is more of a matter of how you value the details in your music. Most would concede that the Shures give you a warmer, but less than detailed sound, and the Ety's provide a somewhat bright much more detailed sound. It also seems to me that aethetically and financially, once you decide to go beyond 6i, it becomes worthwhile to immediately jump all the way up to custom Sensaphonic 2x. Interim increases are merely temporary waystations to what you will do eventually - full customs.

May 4, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 20
I auditioned E4c and Super.Fi Pro 5.

I went with the E4c because it was more balanced IMHO. Super.Fi had more bass, but it wasn't necessarily better to my ears, and the E4c had better mids (or maybe they weren't overpowered by the bass).

If you could try both of those, then you could decide for yourself, but finding someone to loan you IEMs is difficult.

May 4, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I think the E4c's are a good value. They are so much better than the E3c's that I do not think the E3c's are worth what they cost. I don't have experience with any other IEM's.

Yea, I just shake my head when I see E3's at Best Buy for $179. That's a crime. $80-90 bucks max should be the pricepoint for those.

May 4, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
Yea, I just shake my head when I see E3's at Best Buy for $179. That's a crime. $80-90 bucks max should be the pricepoint for those.

Word. You can get the ER4's or E4's for that much online.

May 4, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 20
ok, my budget would be 200$ and I don´t want an amp, because I would lose all the advantages from the nanos small size...

The music I listen to is:
Hip Hop, RnB, House, Jazz, Blues, Pop, no Rock or something (maybe two ACDC tracks in a month
tongue.gif
)

What do you guys think about the Westone UM1´s?

Thanks for all your answers
wink.gif

May 4, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaDude
ok, my budget would be 200$ and I don´t want an amp, because I would lose all the advantages from the nanos small size...

The music I listen to is:
Hip Hop, RnB, House, Jazz, Blues, Pop, no Rock or something (maybe two ACDC tracks in a month
tongue.gif
)

What do you guys think about the Westone UM1´s?

The Westones are OK, but for $200 and those (bassy) genres I think the Super.fi 5 Pro would be perfect.

May 5, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 20
ok,

how big is the difference between the 5 pros and the super.fi 3?
is the nano "good enough" for these IEMs?

You must know that here in Germany the super.fi 5 pros cost about 300$. I might order @ earphonesolutions.com . Or do you guys know any onlineshops that will ship worldwide/ to germany?

May 5, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaDude
ok,

how big is the difference between the 5 pros and the super.fi 3?
is the nano "good enough" for these IEMs?

You must know that here in Germany the super.fi 5 pros cost about 300$. I might order @ earphonesolutions.com . Or do you guys know any onlineshops that will ship worldwide/ to germany?

Huge difference between 3 and 5. The 5 has two drivers, whereas the 3 is just a single driver

Nano is definitely good enough if you have decent quality rips (say 224kbps and up)

Most of the Head-Fi vendors will ship Internationally. Also consider Headroom and TTVJ

May 5, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 20
I got the super.fi pro 5 a couple of weeks back... perfect. you dont need an amp and they are perfect for all music types (rock, rap, hiphop, classical, you name it).

http://store.earphonesolutions.com/ has them for 196. I gotem del to asia in abt 6 days. great service.

If you are concerned run around, take your ipod with at least 196b vari rips and listen to your fav music on all cans you can get your hands on. It is the best way.

May 5, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiatts
I got the super.fi pro 5 a couple of weeks back... perfect. you dont need an amp and they are perfect for all music types (rock, rap, hiphop, classical, you name it).

http://store.earphonesolutions.com/ has them for 196. I gotem del to asia in abt 6 days. great service.

If you are concerned run around, take your ipod with at least 196b vari rips and listen to your fav music on all cans you can get your hands on. It is the best way.

the super.fi pro 5 are going for $160 at headphone.com
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back