Which IEM
May 16, 2006 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

sinafl

Head-Fier
Ok.. after alot of consideration I am going to go with IEM's. They are cheaper and sound good. I listen to rock/rap most of the time with my ipod. Is there a good IEM I can find off Ebay for about $80?

May 16, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 30
AL iM716 will fit ur bill wif excellent sound....

May 16, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 30
The best ones IMO are Ety ER-6i (I wear them), But certainly those im716 are very worthy of strong consideration - forget all others. You will not attain better "bang for the buck" than these two.............furthermore, eBay isn't always the best place to buy either one. Yesterday Amazon.com was still selling the im716 for $70, and I think they also had an ER-6i listing for $80. My comfort solution for wearing either in public (playing with foamies will looks of disgust when re-inserting in front of beautiful salesgirls etc. - kind of like the famous nosepick in Seinfeld episode) is to get Shure Softflex tips (I cut the centerstalk a bit w/ 6i's use)...........and for planes and trains (or bassy experience) they get a variety pack of Comply foamies and find what size works best for you.
After you get one of these IEM's - start saving your money for what should be your only upgrade to either Sensaphonics 2x-s, or Westone ES2 (although I should mention that the 6i and 716's scale wonderfully with a $150-200 amp
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
can anyone back up this information that iM716's are better than Ety 6i??

Did you even try the search? Me thinks no.

May 16, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

It got 3 stars?? Is this the best bang for my buck? Also when these IEM's are in use, is it like the band is playing right infront of you with crisp sound? Also these iM716's are better than the Grado sr-60 right?

It's 3 stars because a couple people rated it 1 star because they couldn't get a decent fit. They describe the sound as "tinny" and "no bass", tell tale signs of not getting a proper fit. Basically, ignore those reviews/ratings.

(I have no experience with the iM716 though)

May 16, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

It got 3 stars?? Is this the best bang for my buck? Also when these IEM's are in use, is it like the band is playing right infront of you with crisp sound? Also these iM716's are better than the Grado sr-60 right?

please search the forum and get opinions here and not on amazon. The people who gave the one stars didn't get a good fit...

May 16, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 30
Many of those who try IEM's have no idea how deep they should go in and as a consequence put in reviews that are not justified (BION I've seen it here many many times
smily_headphones1.gif
- typically such as tinny, no bass, thinl usw. It usually is NOT the IEM, but the timidity of the wearer/reviewer - direct them into the earcanal upwards and forwards (there have been insertion guides posted here - pls do a search and read them before trying your IEM's the first time). Basically, shove those puppies in until the come out the other side of your head
smily_headphones1.gif
. Trust me, they are designed not to harm you unless forced in by a few blows of a hammer.

BTW I believe I stated personal ownership/experimentation and use of ER-6i. I moderated approbation of im716 simply because I do not YET on a pair of them. Simply because of their ETY heritage that I feel they are probably of good value (wary of heavier cabling and the in-line module) and have to be worth at least this current price and possibly an even greater value. Tomorrow I'll be ordering a pair of 716's to try for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back