Which IEM to buy? Please vote!
May 27, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 17
I voted for the UE SF3, but I have to say, the IEM's bass response improved substantially with my headphone amp. Not sure about the other headphones you listed, but I'd say the addition of a headphone amp would be extremely beneficial with the SF3. For an IEM, the soundstage is rather expansive as well.

May 28, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 17
Please keep voting! I have put in the prices now (forgot to put them in originally). Surprising number of votes for the super.fi 3. Is it relatively easy to find a good, secure fit with the super.fi 3? Also, I will be using the IEM straight out of the headphone out of my iPod nano (1st gen) Will the super.fi 3 be good for this?

May 28, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 17
Yeah the Atrio M5 is getting a lot of good reviews but I don't want to spend any more than $100. I will have to pay at least $20 international shipping in addition to that so I will end up spending about $120 anyway. Basically, while I would have to import d-JAYS from the USA, I can get the Shure E2c at exactly the same price [of the d-JAYS+ shipping] locally. The super.fi 3 is $20 cheaper than either of these models, so I would run with that if there is not much extra value to be had with the two slightly more expensive models.

May 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 17
Have you tried the Crossroads Mylarone X3's there $57 shipped I think and people are comparing them to the Atrio M5's

May 28, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 17
ER6 / ER6i / iM716

May 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, if you don't plan on getting a headphone amp, I'm going to have to retract my recommendation on the super.fi 3. The impedence is far too low (13 ohms) to use without an amp/line out combination, and you will experience an unbearable hissing. Atleast out of my 5G video, the headphone out is unbearable. The included impedence adapter fixes the problem, but it's not worth the effort if you can avoid it.

As for the fit, it just seems to depend on your ear, either they fit or they don't. Personally, with the silicone smalls inserted, the isolation is amazing, and I have no problems with fit. Using the reverse mod also furthers the isolation, while adding to the form factor. Also, the sound remains virtually unchanged, unlike the mod on the super.fi 5.

I agree with the other posters, definitely you should check out the Mylarone X3's...and the Atrio's can be had for $130 + shipping on ebay, also a great value. The shures I would avoid, but I've heard good things about the Jays.

May 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Can anybody verify if the super.fi 3's will hiss straight out of the headphone out of my iPod nano 1st gen? Is the impedance adapter included with the super.fi 3's and does it fix the hiss?

Finally, I just want to know if it is worth paying an extra $20 for the d-JAYS.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 17
I don't really want to go with the Mylars because is it just me or do they look kind of cheap? Maybe they sound great but I need something that will be able to take a bit of rough use and knocks as I will be using the IEM's while working out in the gym. Any more opinions on the super.fi 3 hiss and comfort or should i just pay the extra $20 for the d-JAYS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back