Which IEM for jazz, vocals, guitars and occasional rock: Senheisser IE800, AKG 3003i or Shure 846
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rptlead

100+ Head-Fier
need and will appreciate any opinion on these three guys.  I am not looking for full sized headphones, not looking for customs either. I do have some decent portable dac, portable amp, and some decent daps (x3, dx90, rocooP, hm700).

almost always listening to jazz, vocals and guitars.. sometimes rock and occasional r&B. would appreciate a well rounded IEM but i'd put jazz vocals and instruments/guitars on top.   I do have some IEM's I like and still keep like tf10i, re400, and re600.  But i think I want to buy one of the tree stated in the title.  Which one guys?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Would you consider a different IEM? I just got my Answers yesterday but I already find my DITA Answer is better then my SE846.  Check out the DITA thread if you haven't already... They might be what you are looking for.  They are very natural sounding, detailed and pair extremely well with the DX90 seeing as you already have a dx90, better than with my X5. I don't have the Truth edition though, so their paring might be different. 
While I don't listen to Jazz myself, I do have some instrumental, City of Prague John Williams from HD tracks. I have never heard brass, especially the trumpets sound so realistic through recordings. Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark sound amazing.  Stuff like Fleetwood Mac and 80's pop is also really good with these.  The bass on the DITA is amazing as well, some of the best I've heard and I prefer it even to the 846's bass.

Don't get me wrong, I still really like my 846's, I just don't see me choosing them over the DITA. If I had to sell one, which thankfully I don't, I would definitely sell the 846.  I find the 846's Vocals are great, mids are upfront and clear, and, of course the bass is really good on the 846's with their sub woofer type bass.  I do find they pair much better with my Fiio X5 LO with Headphone Lounge silver cable and Pico slim though.  The bass though the dx90 isn't as good with the silver cable, they sound a little thin.  They sound a little better with the stock cable when paired with the dx 90.  

I have not heard IE800s or the 3003i though so I can't comment on them.

And no I am not affiliated with DITA in any way, just very happy with this head fi purchase.

Dave.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi, no problem.  
According to their site there is no U.S. dealer yet.  My order was $649 U.S. total, but I will have to pay the difference between the U.S. and Canadian dollar.  The Truth version is $999 U.S.  They are still including overnight shipping through Fed Ex which sounds like it might be just for a limited time.  They also will only ship from their online store to countries that do not have a distributor. 

Here is the link to the thread... I find it starts getting good at about page 10 or 11.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695872/dita-the-answer-truth-edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back