Which higher end phones can be driven by a 5G ipod?
Jan 6, 2006 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

eiekal

New Head-Fier
I recently thought that the only higher end phones that could be driven by the ipod was the qualia and the A900(LTD). Later I read that the AD2000s can be used with the Ipod along with the W5000s (Thanks Russell for the info) since they are both 40 ohms. Is my information correct? What choices do I have in higher end cans that will run pretty good with a 5G Ipod? Do you only look at impedence in order to select for this?

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiekal
I recently thought that the only higher end phones that could be driven by the ipod was the qualia and the A900(LTD). Later I read that the AD2000s can be used with the Ipod along with the W5000s (Thanks Russell for the info) since they are both 40 ohms. Is my information correct? What choices do I have in higher end cans that will run pretty good with a 5G Ipod? Do you only look at impedence in order to select for this?

Why? High-end phones require a high-quality signal. I-pod signals don't cut the mustard.

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 15
PS1s and RS1s both sound remarkably good directly out of ipod headphone jack, as do Westone UM2s (and I believe all the custom IEMs as well).

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 15
Grados and Beyers too? Uhg so much more to research. I spend to much time on these forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Why? High-end phones require a high-quality signal. I-pod signals don't cut the mustard.

Because for the time being, I want the best cans I get for my Ipod. I don't know what to say about high-end phones require a better source than the Ipod. I could have sworn I read of others using high-end phones with their Ipods because they found it in some way optimal. I think some of these ppl weren't newbs like myself.

I'll have to ask others on this forum what they say when someone tells them that their high-end systems require speakers and that phones don't cut the mustard
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiekal
Because for the time being, I want the best cans I get for my Ipod. I don't know what to say about high-end phones require a better source than the Ipod. I could have sworn I read of others using high-end phones with their Ipods because they found it in some way optimal. I think some of these ppl weren't newbs like myself.

I'll have to ask others on this forum what they say when someone tells them that their high-end systems require speakers and that phones don't cut the mustard
smily_headphones1.gif

The source is not capable of using high-end phones to their fullest. You're wasting your money, IOW.

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 15
technically, all of those cans can be driven by the tiny headphone amp in the ipod, even the power hungry K1000 with an adapter. is it going to bring out the best of that can? not even close. Honestly, the biggest I'd get would be with the Alessandro MS-1 driven directly (and even that would benefit from a cmoy in the chain), with the more practical choices being the KSC-35, KSC-75, or PX100. Or IEMs.

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah I'm aware that I wont get all that I could get out of a high quality phone with a Ipod. But you know what I'm afraid of? I think I may end up getting caught up in this expensive headphone hobby. It's crazy but I may end up spending less money looking for a high quality phone that can be driven with pretty good results by a Ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Good info. I'll check those phones too

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 15
The low-impedance, large cans that I've tried with my iPod all sound more than decent. (Not that I've tried a lot, but the ones I've used were 32 ohms, and my iPod had absolutely no trouble with them.) Sure, it'll sound even better with an external amp, but the iPod is pretty capable of cranking out surprisingly good sound on its own, given the right set of headphones. I've encoded all of my music files using Apple Lossless, which helps a lot.

Russell

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
my 3G can drive my HD650 at 75% volume. weird thing is, it doesnt sound bad at all.

My 5g can drive my 580 at about 70-80%, but everything sounds hollow and harsh to me, nothing horrible though.

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 15
You might add the L3000 too. Pretty remarcable. I think that only the PS-1 can sound as good straight from the ipod. And its more about tastes than anything.

I think it's not that crazy after all. Probably you will end buying the rest of the setup and you will be glad of beign a high-end can owner.

It might not be the most balanced setup right now, but quite enjoyable and you'll save some money on the long run.

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 15
I have found the Grado sr-60 to be pretty non-synergistic with my ipod nano. I have had much better luck with the Shure E4s and Westone UM2s, and even the Koss KSC-75. I'm not sure that just because something is low impendence, it will sound good out of an ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back